Prop Advice for 242 Regal Commodore

cheswest

Cadet
Hi All;
Looking for some council on swapping props to enhance performance. I have a 1997 242 Regal Commodore with a 5.7 Mercruiser 260 CID Alpha 1 Gen 2. With only 440 hrs, it runs like new BUT, I don't feel like I am getting speed I should relative to RPMs. At 3500, I'm getting about 17 MPH (GPS) - that's with 600lbs of people / gear aboard with a full tank 68 gals. Right now I have a 3 blade 16 pitch prop. Wondering about results if I go to 4 blade - or anything else I should be looking at?

cheswest

Cadet
What is the wot rpm and gps speed?Tell us about the Commodore.

Sorry for the delay, the North Atlantic doesn't give us many days where sea conditions allow for WOT tests but today was a gem. Ocean like a mirror all day. So...WOT is 4300 RPM with a top speed of 30.5 MPH...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The 4 blade is said to give a strong hole shot,stay on plane easier at reduced throttle,better grip on the water, and respond better around the dock.
Check out the Mercury spitfire 4 blade.It is said to exchange pitch for pitch with no loss of top speed.
At 4300 it does appear you could drop down to a 15 with the 4 blade Spitfire.

cheswest

Cadet
The 4 blade is said to give a strong hole shot,stay on plane easier at reduced throttle,better grip on the water, and respond better around the dock.
Check out the Mercury spitfire 4 blade.It is said to exchange pitch for pitch with no loss of top speed.
At 4300 it does appear you could drop down to a 15 with the 4 blade Spitfire.

Thanks - have this on order - now to wait for the 10 feet of snow to disappear in mid June to give it a go.

cheswest

Cadet
Update - despite the bumper season of icebergs up here in eastern Canada, I went with a new solex 4 - works as I hoped, upped my rpms at wot - reduced cruise (planing) rpms by 200 for same speed....and better traction at the dock - totally satisfied. Cheers