Please help me determin original prop size for 15hp Evinrude.

japerritt

Cadet
i spun the prop hub off on my 1984 2 stroke Evinrude today, I has a 3 hour troll back to dock! Anyway, after some research here I'm 100% positive the hub is spun and I need to buy a new prop. The prop on it now is stainless and I can't read the pitch size on it, it's too worn to make out the writing. My gut says it's the original prop since it's my dad's old motor, and he wasn't one to change things from factory. On some sites I read it originally came with 10" pitch and on others sites I read 9"? The motor runs great. I got it up yo 22mph today with 2 men and gear on my 12x36 Jon..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just have it fixed, you don't need to buy a new one. And I have never seen a SS prop come stock on one of those.

japerritt

Cadet
Thank y'all very much for your reply.. Current prop is not a stainless steel prop after all, please don't ask me why I assumed that:). Its definitely spun though. The prop itself is worn and nicked up, so I'm gonna replace it all together. Now I'm researching whether or not to replace it with a stainless steel prop:). After searching this site it seems the majority suggest keep it simple and stick with aluminum on smaller outboards like my 15hp? Also, I'm planning on getting a 1448 Jon boat so that's playing into research of which prop to buy, so maybe I should go to 9" pitch? I don't care about speed, I just wanna get on plane with the new 1448 I plan to get. There's just too may choices!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Get your current prop fixed, then after you actually get the boat see what works best. And a big no to SS, just not needed.

japerritt

Cadet
ondarvr, Thanks for you reply. A new prop is easy for me to find online and install, its $64. I can't find a hub, at least I'm sure its the right one and I dont know how to replace it. My outboard mechanic ability is limited to what I can mimic thru online how to videos. Given my ability I'm thinking its best I spend the $64 for a new one, again old one is pretty nicked up too.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When you have a prop fixed it comes back looking like new. It normally costs less than a new one too. But $64 isn't bad.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I used to suggest a repair shop but at 60 some dollars the new prop is an ideal purchase
The technology is way ahead of the original prop.Solos Amita or Rubex. 10" Is a reasonable starting point.

japerritt

Cadet
Thanks all. I got the Solas Amita for 64 bucks shipped. I was tempted to buy the Solas stainless prop for $120, but went the budget route. Once I get a larger jon boat I will get a tiny tach.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
if you get us your lightly loaded wot gps speed it will help tell about your rpm.