Acts like a spun prop, but only sometimes?

Travis798

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 78 Johnson 55 hp on a 16' tracker. While navigating a flooded creek the other day, I hit a floating log while trying to get back to the ramp before a storm hit me. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 10mph, but when I tried to speed up I got an increase in rpm with no increase in speed. I was sure the prop was spun, but when going back out to check my trotline, the boat ran great until I got into some rip raff. If I go through rip raff, the boat will max out at around 8mph and just rev the engine. If I pull the motor up, or last night I tried stopping and backing up, then go again it's great until the next back of debris in the water.

Could this be a spun prop? Why would some debris make the prop seem spun but the boat is running great in open water? Granted I've only been in the creek since this is happening, and it's debris filled and twisty and windy, so I can't open it up for very long but when in debris free areas I can shoot up and hit plane, but when easing through debris (4-5mph) it just craps out when I try to open it up.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The debris causes the prop to cavitate because it interrupts the water flow to the prop. I would watch your waterflow very carefully. Props need to run in clean water.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Be aware that if OB's lower leg water intakes sucks debris while boating, impeller will be fried running dry and develop an overheat condition which is bad for OB, check peeing port constantly if boating on these kind of waters.

Happy Boating