Maunal trim options...

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
I have an older Mercury 50hp motor with no power trim. To lift the motor, you have to reach out and pull the motor up into the full up position only. Back breaking for my old bones. I have found lift bars on Amazon for around 60 bucks, but what I'm wondering is if there is a product that would allow two manual tilt positions...one for shallow water and the full up position. I guess if you count full down, it would be three positions....full down, shallow and full up.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most engines can be tilted for shallow and full up position with one pull while engine is disengaged from running lock position. A small pull at rear cowling to lock into shallow water, from there a full pull to lock full up position. A matter of pivoting engine right along having parts well greased for an easy job.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The shallow water drive was/is offered on some lower horsepower fishing engines. McCulloch offered it on their engines larger engines in the 60s, but went out of business before the 70s

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My mother used to boat into the late fall and she added power tilt only
to handle the low water.On a 88 50 Evinrude I think it was 300-400 way back then.

wrunner74

Seaman Apprentice
Sea Rider - I wish that was the case, I've looked at it 20 ways to Sunday and there is only the up and down positions. Just going to have to avoid shallow water. Added a safe skeg at least. steelspike - yeah, I've seen them on eBay used and now they run like $500-$700.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I usually go boating with disengaged swivel bracket lock, that way if hitting a shallow sand bed, rock, whatever, lower leg will rise peoportionally to speed when hitting object and not damage lower leg skeg or lock. Just lock swivel bracket when reversing. Works for my boating purposes.

Happy Boating