Mercury Laser II Advise

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys - i have another question on here this is not directly related so i started a separate thread.

I bought a used mercury laser II prop off eBay for my boat got a great deal and its in a fairly good condition. When i bout it i was sure to get the Mercury one and not the Quicksilver one as after research i believe the flo tore hubs weren't on quicksilver but were on the mercury stamped props (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also did some google on the part number and pretty much every result be it other auctions or official site showed be it was a Flo Torq system prop.

Great ... but when i look at it it does not look this way and nothing comes apart easily... i was wondering if it does have a removable hub but the previous owner used a different brand of hub in which case should i get the mallet and try and smack it out?

either way I've attach images and the part number and hopefully you can advise :)

Thanks

48-16544A45 19P

DE89941D-4E14-469C-A70C-94FE372D8269.jpg
62EBB81F-E486-406F-93DD-68B9CD6C4D9A.jpg
A2A2BC3A-A512-4798-B4D5-929FB1CB24BE.jpg
BCFC5821-BD50-470E-A68A-323FDA4C980F.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The 3 tabs tell me it's removable. On the rubber pressed in, the interior bronze flange is uniform circular and is almost touching the barrel of the SS prop with no tabs are protruding (and no room for any to protrude.. Would go out backwards....push on the rear center, where the spline is for front exit. I'd use a wooden dowel and 3 lb sledge. After a whack or two you will/should know what you have. The pressed in would resist that effort.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any idea how you can know it out what's in there? I have access to a press but don't want to do damage? I have seen a few with it pressed out and it does look like a flo system

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Which 'tabs' are you referring to?

The 3 tabs cast into the barrel of the prop in his pic "2. I have aSS Ballistic in the Shop with a pressed in hub. I could get it and shoot some pics to show what a pressed in hub looks like and everyone I ever saw looks the same, except for the old OMC engines with the drive pin recess in the brass part of the pressed in hub....before the days of the splined hub.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I lightened the pic I can't see any tabs

Attachments

• photo244366.jpg
    photo244366.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So do you think if I press out whatever it is a flo torq would be OK?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Forget the tabs. What I see/saw was merely the tail end of the blade roots extending to the end of the prop.

I just went to the top of the page and Looked at the Laser II, 19P prop for the 90 Merc 2 stroke. It stated that the part number is48-899006A45 and uses Flow torque hub 835257k1. It looks the same as yours. One has to question the part number difference.

I will pose the question and guess that it's a different series of props and hence the pressed in hub; but I am straddling the fence on this. Looking at the third picture, there are 2 pieces besides the SS barrel of the prop and the pressed in is all one piece. Other thing I noticed was that the removable hubs have brass/bronze visible from both ends of the prop, both the insert and the cap for the opposite end, but the end visible in pic "3 could be brass where the spline is machined in, not the little collar between it and the barrel.

The removable insert is locked to the prop with slots in the inner surface of the barrel. That is one reason I question the "tabs" because it's very easy to extend the root of each blade into the interior of the barrel to be used in locking in the removable hub. It is of plastic construction where the two meet. The brass is the splined area and has fingers that extend into the plastic core to get a grip yet allow the plastic to sacrifice if hitting a submerged object with adequate force.....does not slip and reattach itself like the rubber pressed in.

In closing, I think that if you get on the end shown in the third picture and, with a punch that covers the brass splined part, not the ring between it and the barrel and 2 -4 lb maul, a good whack or two will supply your answer. If removable it will move. If rubber it will give with the impact but will reseat and won't move down the barrel.

That's what I'd do to solve the question. Good luck!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It is NOT a torqueflow , its a standard rubber hub.A torqueflow hub is square

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Faztbullet is correct, it's a standard rubber hub. There is no pressing in or out of a flo torque. The pieces pretty much slide right together. You can't press out a standard hub and replace it with a flo torque, the two props are different. The rubber isn't a bad thing, I just went from the flo torque to the rubber recently and noticed the drive shifted smoother.

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I'm not sure what you got there but maybe this will help... FIRST I want to say what motor is this going on??? I read above that it may be for a 90hp? If I recall they don't make Laser II in odd numbers for smaller gearcase (115hp or less) infact I remember only seeing 20/22/24/26 pitch if I recall correctly because I wanted a 19" and couldn't find one for the smaller gearcase (Yamaha 115 2stroke V4), but when you jump into the 135hp and up (bigger V6 gearcase) then you get into the 18/19/20/21/22/23/24/25/26 pitch and so on...

Have you tried fitting the prop onto the shaft? If it goes in which it should, does it clear the height of the cav plate? Because I think the most we can clear is 14" or less for the smaller gearcase... If this prop is 14-1/4" or bigger it most likely won't clear your cav plate (if you got a smaller than V6 motor) you will need a small hub Laser II instead (20/22/24/26 pitch)

Now a quick search on eBay has many Laser 2 props, of the ones I see some come with built in hub like yours, and some have a flo torq. Now it seems there are TWO versions of the pressed in hub, one has a thick ring like almost 1" which you can see on this Laser II here in the 3rd pic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Qui...ash=item33b75b9687:g:ENoAAOSwr0ZXOUPK&vxp=mtr

The other has a thin ring like maybe 3/8" around, yours is this smaller ring size type (not sure if thats the size just guessing here so dont quote me on that) which you can also see on this Laser II here in 4th pic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-II-QU...6bb0fdd&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=222119564935

So this is really up in the air, if it does fit your gearcase I would try it as is, why would you want to change it to a flo torq anyway if it fits?? I have a feeling its possible that its a solid brass hub and could be square on the inside, and pressed out but I'm not sure, that would be a funny fit to press in square instead of round but who knows?

If you look at this Laser II here in the 5th pic you can see it ALSO has a pressed in hub? But it also fits a flo torq hub if you look closely, you can see the "corners" inside the round hub where the flo torq fits in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...6bb0fdd&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=222119564935

Here is a pic of my Trophy Plus which also takes a flo torq hub, you can see it with and without the hub to see the "corners" I'm talking about..

Attachments

• photo244771.jpg
    photo244771.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244772.jpg
    photo244772.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys,

Ok this should hopefully answer most points - first up this is NOT for my 90 i6 its for my 120hp Alpha One Merc Diesel so its the bigger gear case. Secondly i haven't tried it yet as is but i'm a bit paranoid as there is no gold secure ring thing not sure the proper term to punch the metal tabs into to stop the not flying off - what would i need for that?

I guess the reason i was asking is because as in the link i posted above there is talk of punching out the rubber and flo torq fitting (and i bough a new flo torq kit when i bought the prop)

thanks so far guys