1989 gamefisher 15hp

Chrisayers6

Recruit
I have a 14x48 Jon boat with a 15 hp gamefisher model#225581501. Custom floor and deck on the front I do a lot of fishing in the flats and I need a new prop for it. My normal load is 2 average sixe adults 1 marine battery, trolling motor, and fishing gear. What size prop and pitch would I need. Looking for top speed. I don't know much about props and pitch any information is helpful. Thanks in advance

ttankmoran

Seaman Apprentice
We need to hear more info about what kind of problem you are trying to correct? Does it come up on plane easily? Do you have a tach? what kind of rpm and top speed on GPS are you experiencing now?

Your setup sounds a little on the heavy side for a 15 hp as well.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I think that is a Merc motor. The present prop number should be under the prop nut.
I figure your at about 1000 lbs.Your lightly loaded wide open throttle(wot) gps speed and rpm is important.
I think your priority is a prop that can get you up on plane.Very likely if it gets on plane that will make top speed.
I would consider a 8" pitch as a starting point. Your present performance and prop size will figure into that equation.

Chrisayers6

Recruit
Right now I have it in the shop hasn't ran in a long time just trying to get a idea and its a little plastic prop on it now I have no idea what the WOT is and RPMs I haven't had it on the water yet I just know the little plastic prop isn't going to do and I have made my load a little lighter im roughly 700 lbs not including the aluminum Jon boat. Thank you I will start with a 8 pitch and go from there. Do you know what diameter prop I could use on this motor?

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I think that is a Merc motor. The present prop number should be under the prop nut.
I figure your at about 1000 lbs.Your lightly loaded wide open throttle(wot) gps speed and rpm is important.
I think your priority is a prop that can get you up on plane.Very likely if it gets on plane that will make top speed.
I would consider a 8" pitch as a starting point. Your present performance and prop size will figure into that equation.

My bad, it appears the 225581501 is based on the Force motor.
Force used to be Chrysler circa "1984"
It appears the Force uses points in the ignition and L82c plugs.Rpm range is 5000-6000.