Dinged Up Prop Leaving Driveway!

ericamity

Cadet
OK. That's really embarrassing but that's what I did. I will probably have the one repaired (it's not dinged up too bad) and get a new one and use the dinged up one as a spare.

Anyway, the one I hit was an Evinrude OEM 13.5x15 prop. I found that exact prop at my Evinrude dealer here in Portland for about $175. I can get it cheaper online. Anyway, I guess my question is - is that really the best prop for my setup?

Most of the time we'll just be out fishing and it doesn't matter. But in the summer we'll be dragging kids around on kneeboards and tubes so might need a little more juice. I don't really want to carry around 17 props, but would just like to have one that's really an "all around" prop.

My boat is about 15' long (maybe 15.5) and is about 6.5 wide. It's about 850-900 pounds. Typically will carry 2-3 people. 50HP Etec that weighs about 230 and then a kicker that weighs about 60.

One other thing. Right now the bow goes up pretty high when accelerating. Can a new prop help with that issue? I can't trim the motor down any further.

Thanks in advance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't tached current factory delivered prop won't know if performs spot on with current given load. OB needs to rev around max wot rpm while lightly loaded, you could maximize a prop to suit best your described boating requirements, but after you have tached original delivered prop firstly...

Trim OB to run paraell to water level when on plane, distribute weight towards bow, probably too stern heavy..

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Bow up pretty high? does it seem to slow the hole shot?
Do you have a speed by gps at 5500.
Is the anti vent plate(just above the prop) about even with the bottom of the transom.
You might check if you can get a Merc Spitfire 4 blade to fit your Etec.
They are said to retain top speed using the original prop size.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the max wot revs for that OB ? If or around 6 K rpm OB will benefit going one less in current pitch to be near or at 6 K with given load if you happen to go boating as described often, if with less weight, just throttle less and watch tach as not to overrev.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
According to prop selector 5500 rpm is max for the 50 etec.May I suggest a solas 4 blade 15 p ?You can find them right here and they are not pricey.I have a 60 etec and im a huge fan of the 4 blade solas .Matter of fact they have a sale on the amita and the rubex props right here right now plus free shipping.Im in no way affiliated with iboats!

Last edited:

ericamity

Cadet
Thanks for the help guys. Seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

If I go with the merc spitfire, what size/pitch would anyone suggest?

As far as the Solas recommendation, shouldn't the pitch change if move to a 4-blade?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ihave both a 17p 4blade and a 17p 3 blade .the difference rpm wise is almost a wash.Ilost maybe 1 to 1.5 mph going to the 4 blade but gained lower planning speed .Personally I prefer the 4 blade for my boat which is a 160 ss starcraft bowrider.I would love to have a 16p which would be perfect but unless I want to spend big bucks forget it.They generally suggest 1 pitch lower if you go to 4 bade but for my application it didn't matter the same pitch was perfect.I have to admit I use the 17 p for light cruising and a 15p for heavier loads and slower trolling. If you guess wrong on pitch you will know it as you will hit the revlimiter.If you don't like changing props all the time do what im doing now and prop for max rpm under heavier loads .You can always back off but you cant increase .Now that Ive preached im going to order a 4 blade 15p amita,lol.My rpm limit is 5 to 6000 max and the rev limiter hits at 6250 as proven by my etec tech when we prop tested when I bought it.

Last edited:

ericamity

Cadet
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm learning a lot. I found a propeller guy here in Portland. I'm going to buy a 13.5x14 prop from him. That's a bit lower than my current 15p prop. At wot I'm at about 5500 rpms and would like to bump that up toward 6000. Im hoping this will do it. The guy is also going to smooth out my skeg and touch it up for me. He will also allow me to return the prop if the rpms are somehow way off. So I think I'm making the the right choice. I really appreciate all the help from this forum.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
One less pitch prop should bump wot rpm much higher, don't know if as much as + 500 wot revs, will depend on how light that combo is. Only testing lightly loaded on flat calm waters will tell. Are you shure max wot range is 6 K for that OB , somebody said 5500 ?

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
My apologies.I took the rpm info off iboats prop selector site which is incorrect, it is indeed 55 to 6000 rpm.Tell us how the 14p works out im interested to know.Also the rpm is incorrect for 60 etec as it should be 5500 to 6000 not 5000 to 6000 rpm.According to the manual you will reach max hp at 5750 rpm.

Last edited:

ericamity

Cadet
So I went ahead and purchased a Solas Amita 4 13.3x13. We couldn't find a 3-blade with a 13.5 diameter and a 14 pitch. And so I dropped two inches in pitch and added an extra blade. I will appreciate the extra oomph out of the hole, better control and maybe a little stern lift. I guess we'll see.

The Solas guide said this prop would fit an Evinrude Etec 2004 and newer but it came with the wrong thrust washer so the back of the prop scraped . . . I had to spend an additional 45 to buy a kit that had the right thrust washer.

So . . . I haven't tried it out yet because I'm getting a kicker motor bracket installed currently. That should take about a week then I'll get her in the water and see if my max wot rpms are where they should be.

ericamity

Cadet
I bought the prop from a guy here in Portland, Oregon. He was charging me around $130 for the prop. He slid it on and saw it wasn't right. So he ran down to a warehouse, got the correct thrust washer and came back. He put the prop on and I went to pay. He had discounted the prop down to $100 and then adddd the kit on top of it for a total of $145. I thought that was pretty fair.

ericamity

Cadet
Just an update . . . finally got the boat out on the water. The 4-blade, 13-pitch Solas prop is PERFECT. Top speed is 26 mph, which is a little slower than I expected, but the power out of hole is superb. Max WOT RPMs with two average-sized adults and one child (and one kicker motor) was 5900. Just about right. The range is 5500-6000 so I like being near the top of the range. Looks like it's going to be a winner!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Good to read about that, bear in mind that when wot solo boating while lightly loaded, OB will overrev, so throttle less and watch tach along. Usually when in pursuit of max wot rpm, there will be a slight max speed loss, but will gain in superb faster hole shot. Can't have both worlds in one prop as one opposes the other..

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sea Rider the etec,s have a rev limiter so in reality you cant over rev .You will know when you hit it as I feels just like losing a cylinder ,at least my 60 etec felt like that.The 60 hit the limiter at 6250 rpm so they gave you a 250 rpm cushion .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What about constant wot reving say bit less under 6250 rpm, will this cause OB to last less than doing it at 6000 rpm ? Guessing about all motors having a safe % overreving tolerance passing max wot revs, whether with rev limiter or not.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im just guessing its a safety valve.Most people are going to try and hit 6000 dead on and you know how that goes!Me I will go to max and then back off to cruise mode without loosing very little top end and saving lots of gas.