Getting on plane

mecoop

Recruit
I recently purchased a 12 foot Valco aluminum fishing boat. It has a Evinrude 15, 2 stroke with a 91/2 x 10 prop.
The engine seems to run fine but I cannot get the boat on plane with just me in the boat. If I rev it higher the front seems to lift more.
Any ideas?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Too much weight @ the stern or the tilt pin is too far out, needs to be in the 1st or 2nd hole from transom.

Or a combination of both.

My 12ft Sylvan planes out great w just me in it w a 10hp. But I scoot forward on the rear bench and have the 6gal fuel can in front of the next bench forward from the 1 I'm sitting on.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
When I was young I had a 20 HP Johnson on an 8 or 10 foot flat bottom jon boat. I needed to put the gas tank as far forward as the hose would allow and I needed to scoot forward to the center seat until she planed. THEN the ride was thrilling. In fact, with my current 10 foot tunnel hull with a 50 HP engine I need to lean way over the steering wheel to get her to drop into plane.

dwco5051

Commander
When I was young I had a 20 HP Johnson on an 8 or 10 foot flat bottom jon boat. I needed to put the gas tank as far forward as the hose would allow and I needed to scoot forward to the center seat until she planed. THEN the ride was thrilling. In fact, with my current 10 foot tunnel hull with a 50 HP engine I need to lean way over the steering wheel to get her to drop into plane.

Many years ago when I was much younger and quicker to heal I put a great running Johnson 18 on the back of a 12' Sears fiberglass v hull. I could not get what I thought I should so I laid down on the middle seat and was steering it with my feet on the tiller. It started chine walking on me and in a second I lost footing on the tiller and thought I could see the stairway to heaven. Then somehow the stern rose as I crossed my own wake and when the motor hit the water at full throttle it sheared the pin. I lived to boat another day!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Yep... balance and/or thrust angle.

If you are pushing the nose up as you add power I'd try the thrust angle first.

If you have a trolling motor battery put it as far forward as you can (extend the wires with jumper cable wire heavier than the trolling motor's original wire)
Maybe even make a bow mount for the trolling motor (not too hard to do with 2X4's, screws and big C clamps) And then you are looking at your trolling motor when going forward and less likely to be dragging it when trying to go on the outboard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Assuming it is indeed just you the motor and gas Properly loaded .I would suspect the motor is on one cylinder or is suffering from poor fuel supply.
Unhook one plug wire at a time and ground,see if it will run.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That 12' will fly with the 15. I did the same thing with a 14' as mentioned above, move the gas tank as far forward as you can. It made a huge difference getting on plane. Then hang on...... :)

Trying to get on plane slowly will make the bow rise to the sky. You may want to get on the throttle a little quicker.....

Last edited:

mecoop

Recruit
I will try moving the gas tank in front of the back seat. The pin is in the first position. Maybe I'll just try adding ballast in the bow when I am by myself.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would try the tank first. Go as far forward as the fuel line allows. I'm thinking that will make a big difference...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a tiller extension handle and move forward.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could be a cocktail combination of weight imbalance, trim, motor height and incorrectly propped for that application provided that OB and prop are healthy. A matter to check all 4 in a row.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
A 15hp should get on plane in seconds......I have an 8hp merc and it has no problem getting on plane! I also have a 3hp 4-stroke that gets on plane if I sit at the edge of the seat and lean forward (I weigh 200lbs) Do you have a 15" shaft motor? If it's a 20" that would be your problem. If not there is a good chance that you are only running on 1cyl.. My 8 ran smooth on 1 but had no power. Check for spark.

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
I know this will not hit home with some but when I was way younger I had a 12ft sears boat with a 15hp. motor on it and when fishing alone would put anchor and add rocks to front of the boat. Worked great but if weather got tough would have to ajust rock weight fast.:doh: P.S. the motor is to much for the size of boat but is workable if setup right....

Last edited: