Can I swap 2.0 for 2.2 B3??

rjs1521

Recruit
I have a 2004 Regal 2650 w/ a 300 h.p. 350 mpi. My current drive is a B3 2.2 with 26p props. My drive needs replacement due to corrosion and I have found a newer 2.0 drive for a very reasonable price. My boat currently does 48 @ wot with full tank and usual gear + 1 other person. I realize there will be a prop change with this and my ultimate goal is to increase top end speed to cruise at lower rpm's and save some $$$ on fuel. The alternative is new drive for 3x what I can buy this slightly used drive for.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2004 Regal 2650 w/ a 300 h.p. 350 mpi. My current drive is a B3 2.2 with 26p props. My drive needs replacement due to corrosion and I have found a newer 2.0 drive for a very reasonable price. My boat currently does 48 @ wot with full tank and usual gear + 1 other person. I realize there will be a prop change with this and my ultimate goal is to increase top end speed to cruise at lower rpm's and save some $$$ on fuel. The alternative is new drive for 3x what I can buy this slightly used drive for.

Howdy

First lower rpm does not equal less fuel burn. A motor in neutral will burn next to no fuel when rev'ed up and no load. A motor which cruises at 30mph turning 3800 rpm, and having a WOT which reaches 4800rpm, will burn less fuel then, a motor cruising at 30mph turning 3000 rpm, and has a WOT of 4000 rpm. The more the engine has to lug the more it burns and the harder it is on the motor.

You can swap a 2.0 for a 2.2, just may need to go down to a 20 or 22 pitch props. The 2.2 is really what you want for overall best IMO. Now if the lower unit of the drive is where the corrosion is, you can just replace the lower section.

Have any pics to see what your looking at?

And what is your current WOT

Last edited: