new to boating & confused

saigonbilly

Recruit
I bought a used 2000 model aluminum xpress 17 ft. Bass boat with yamaha 60 hp 2 cycle engine . Previous owner said Motor not used much, boat and motor very clean.
the boat , motor ,trolling motor, 3 batterys, 10 gal fuel, and myself weight about 1, 600 lb.
the motor has a s/s 14x17 prop , why will the rig at full throttle, planed off untill cavitation stops only turn 2600 RPM ? GPS SPEED IS 35 MPH. please reply

Maclin

Admiral
The tachometer is not reading correctly When I plug the numbers into a prop calculator and assuming around a 2.3 gear ratio, an engine would have to be spinning at around 5600 rpm to go 35mph with a 17p prop. Using 2600 rpm with those same constants only yields 16mph.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Look at the back of the tachometer and you will see a calibration dial. Gently (repeat "gently") turn that dial back and forth a few times and then set it on the 6P position. See if that puts the rpm in the proper range.

saigonbilly

Recruit
I found tHe plastic screw at bottom of tach. And gently turned back & forth a few times and reset on 6 , before Iit was set on 5.
had to go with the other half to black friday ritchual today but tomorrow will see what happens .... again tthanks for your input !

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Time for a new tach.I can confirm your rpm is "about" 5600. at 35 mph.
You could get a permanent tach or an induction tach that could be used to test all kinds of motors.
Tiny Tach is one of the brands,

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
It has to be a bad tach......... You are getting good performance for a 60hp!