17' bowrider prop. 3.0 lt.

WaveJokey

Cadet
To my fellow throwers of money in the deep blue. Lol. I was hoping someone on here had some insight on some prop ideas for a 2003 sea Ray 176? Or maybe something close. I have been leaning towards the spitfire 4 blade cause the reviews seem to be awesome. I also was told by b blades who was recommend by Mercury to talk to that the enertia 3 blade ss would also be a good option. Would the extra $500 be worth it? If so, I'm all for it. Also any ideas of smart tabs on this boat? Or boat similar with similar prop? Thanks gentleman in advance for the advice and 2 cents!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Before making a change we need your prop size, lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed.
I too have heard good things about the Spitfire, and the smart tabs.
My only caution is to apply the tabs just enough to get the help you want. Too much will create odd handling and waste fuel.
If it turns out your present prop is right the spitfire should exchange pitch for pitch.

WaveJokey

Cadet
I read your article Rick. Thank you. Seems to be right on point with what I've read so far. I have used the solas props before and havnt had any issues to speak of. I am thinking I want to go with the spitfire 4 blade and see how it works out with the tabs as well. Between what the tabs are suppose to do and what the mercury says the spitfire will do, this thing should jump out of the water like a jet boat. Lol. It was just in the back of my mind that maybe I shouldn't waste the $160 on the spitfire and just go right for the fancy $600 enertia 3 blade ss, which the rep at B Blades told me should do everything a four blade will do for me because of the way its designed but I'm a lil skeptical.....

WaveJokey

Cadet
Before making a change we need your prop size, lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed.
I too have heard good things about the Spitfire, and the smart tabs.
My only caution is to apply the tabs just enough to get the help you want. Too much will create odd handling and waste fuel.
If it turns out your present prop is right the spitfire should exchange pitch for pitch.

Spike,

There in lies the hard part. Lol. I am no stranger to boats, I grew up in cape may/ Wildwood area in south jersey, but I've never had a small bowrider or an I/O so all my experience has been inboard or outboards only. The problem is I bought this boat, its an 03 sea Ray 176 with a 3.0 alpha 1, and it has around 80hrs on it. Would not have been by first choice, however it's super clean and the price was unbeatable. I was only able to put the boat in the water once and it wasn't running great due to the carb being really gummed up and the original prop being pretty beat up. The good news is there is quite a few of these boats on the water, so I know that now that I've rebuilt the carb and its running like a champ, with the original 14.25x 21p, it should hit around 4700rpm WOT and be doing in the neighborhood of 40mph. Boat will weigh on average around 2500- 2800 lbs on average use. I'm really thinking the spitfire should give me the hole shot I want and the tabs to take care of the porpoising at the top end..... I guess I'm hoping someone out there has this setup already.... Otherwise I'll be the guinea pig I guess.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
So your figuring it "should" do such n such. And your correct it "should" and probably will.In that case the Spitfire should exchange pitch for pitch.
Should improve hole shot without hurting top end.Your 21" stock prop will likely struggle some with water sports and heavy loads.

WaveJokey

Cadet
Ha Ha. I know, "should" is not a super accurate term.... but, I have researched the boat itself alot and thats what its suppose to do with said prop. Do you think I should drop an inch in pitch? or just go for it in the 21?

WaveJokey

Cadet
I guess my main question is, If money was the same or closer between the 2 porps, what would you go with? 4 blade spitfire or 3 blade enertia ss? keep in mind that I am going to go with the smart tabs as well with the lever so I can have them deployed or not depending on my mood at that moment.... This boat will be used for mostly cruising around with the wifey and kids and waters ports with the kids. Again, thank you guys for your advise! The best way I have found to get to the correct answers is through knowledgeable people such as yourselves and their experiences. :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It's highly unlikely you will find someone with the exact setup;age,hours,typical load and activities. I sure wouldn't be buying props for a boat without knowing what I like or don't like about its performance.Especially if your spending money like your talking.
If you must by a prop do the Spitfire. If your prop is performing as it" should "and to your liking,(We don't know that)the props "should" exchange pitch for pitch.

Swoosh3

Seaman
WaveJokey;

Please share the outcome as this too is something I am looking at, If I beat you to it I'll still post the outcome.
For me and my boat and it's intended uses I am pretty much sold on the Smart Tabs, just haven't paid
for them yet..
I'm also dancing with the idea of a 4 blade SS prop.
I'd like to be on plane quicker at a slower speed, willing to give up a bit on the top end to achieve this.
17' Sangster (fiberglass) 140hp Mercruiser Sterndrive 15" X19P 3 blade alum. prop WOT 4500 RPM 37ish MPH on stock gauges.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
What year is the boat?Do you know the dry weight?Do you know the gear ratio?You need to get your speed by gps.
Based on your present numbers the boat may be slightly under performing.

Swoosh3

Seaman
My boat is a 1973 Sangster, It is not covered at the nada site but comparable boats of that vintage are all 1700-2000lbs.
I have yet to run it across the scales.Gear ratio????no idea,Alpha 1 gen1,No GPS yet.

Thank you

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My boat is a 1973 Sangster, It is not covered at the nada site but comparable boats of that vintage are all 1700-2000lbs.
I have yet to run it across the scales.Gear ratio????no idea,Alpha 1 gen1,No GPS yet.

Thank you
My bad; when you posted about hoping to get followup of results I should have suggested listing you boat in its own posting
before posting un related suggestions.
I confused things when I posted a followup for your boat. I unintentually high jacked his thread. Not fair and it confuses what ever follows.
Hopefully a moderator can set up your own post.

Last edited:

Swoosh3

Seaman
My apologies, I just thought that although our boats have a 30yr. difference in age they have the same engine
and similar out-drive, hull design and weight so an answer for one gives good input for two.
once again, sorry if this is wrong thinking'

Smart tabs to start, prop selection if need be later..

Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You did fine and it was a good comparison.
I messed up when I noted your performance numbers seemed a little off from normal.
The Mercruiser 3.0 in a 17-19 ft boat is one of the easiest to evaluate.
Typical setup would be a 19 or 21" prop a 19 would usually be at about 4800 rpm and about 40 mph.
Usually a heavy load or serious water sports a 17" prop may be needed with the caution to watch the rpm.
A 21" prop should produce the best speed if it can come close to 4800 rpm.It may struggle. with a load or water sports.
Of course there are specialty props that may produce somewhat different numbers.
Certsain conditions weith a boat might produce different numbers.
Common gear ratios are 1.98 or 2.00 close enough so I usually use 2.00.
More later.

WaveJokey

Cadet
OK. Got some numbers for you guys. We are experiencing extremely warm temps here in South Jersey this December. (68?) So my two sons, ages 8 and 11, decided that we had done all this work and had not gotten to run the boat. As I mentioned earlier, I boat the boat without ever running it but I knew who I had bought it from, and I know he's not much on Maintenance, I also knew he hadn't used it much and really didn't hurt anything. Here's a brief run down: 2003 sea Ray 176 3.0 with alpha 1 gen 2. Boat wieghs in at 2300, with all of us (2-200lbs men and 2-60lbs kids and maybe 150lbs of gear) around 3000lbs we'll say. Over the last few months we've rebuilt the carb, changed plugs, dismantled lower unit changed all water pumps components, sanded primed and painted the whole thing, remounted, added a new four blade Mercury spitfire (14x21) changed thermostat housing and a few other things.... Oh! Added the smart tabs! Well started off well and got about 1/4mile from the dock and blew the thermostat housing gasket that I just replaced..... Luckily I was able to us my baseball hat as somewhat of a gasket to limp back to the ramp. Then out of dumb luck, the marina I was at happen to have a new one. About an hour later with a new gasket and some gasket rtv this time, we were back on the water. Cruiesd at 3600 rpm running 31 mph. We ran 20 miles and I gotta say the smart tabs were a smart choice. Ran it hard on the way home (40mile round trip) for a short stretch and got 42mph at 4800 rpms which puts my prop slip around 15% which I think is a pretty good number. So I still have to throw the original three blade back on and compare but I doubt there will be much difference other than it might take a lil longer to plan and we may get a couple mph on the top end. All and all I'm very happy with the new Mercury spitfire and the smart tabs. Hope this helps everyone.

WaveJokey

Cadet
WaveJokey;

Please share the outcome as this too is something I am looking at, If I beat you to it I'll still post the outcome.
For me and my boat and it's intended uses I am pretty much sold on the Smart Tabs, just haven't paid
for them yet..
I'm also dancing with the idea of a 4 blade SS prop.
I'd like to be on plane quicker at a slower speed, willing to give up a bit on the top end to achieve this.
17' Sangster (fiberglass) 140hp Mercruiser Sterndrive 15" X19P 3 blade alum. prop WOT 4500 RPM 37ish MPH on stock gauges.

Swoosh,

I hope this all helps you. I agree with you that while our boats are not exact, it should be close to the same numbers..... I will let you know when I get a chance to run the three blade and see what if any the difference is.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the up date. I get 12% slip right on the nose for what I use if I need a slip number.
Is the speed by gps?
If your going to do some more testing I would love to see the 3 blade with and without the smart tabs and the Spitfire with and without.
And last but not least a empty wot run.

WaveJokey

Cadet
Thanks for the up date. I get 12% slip right on the nose for what I use if I need a slip number.
Is the speed by gps?
If your going to do some more testing I would love to see the 3 blade with and without the smart tabs and the Spitfire with and without.
And last but not least a empty wot run.

Steel,
Yes, speed by GPS. I did messup however. Reading your reply, I noticed I miss informed sightly. At 3600 rpm I'm doing right around 30-32 mph and that was the 15% slip. At WOT I was getting around 42 mph and that is suppose to be 12% slip. What I don't know is, is it normal for the "slip" number to change like that? And I will absolutely post the numbers for the three blade the next chance I get to run the boat again. And I am curious myself to see what it will do without the extra people.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It is normal for slip to go up as speed is reduced.Also a heavy or hard to push boat would usually have higher slip numbers.