1997 procraft 200 with Mercury 200 efi

Bchris748

Recruit
I am looking at a 1997 procraft 200 with a 200 Mercury efi. I took the boat out on the lake to test drive and it ran like a top. It came out of the hole super fast and hit between 50 to 53 in a blink of an eye. The problem is the boat would not go past 5000 rpms. I couldn't get it past 50. There was a lower unit put on the motor a couple of years ago. Is this a prop issue. There is a 25 pitch laser prop on it. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I think that that speed is petty close. If you were looking at the speedo it might be off some. On my boat 30 on speedo is really 35 on gps. 5000 is still in range and maybe if you didn't trim up that might be where the other couple of mph are. If you are worried about rpm than a 23 laser would get you there and then you would have a spare.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Calculator indicates that 25" prop, 5000 rpm at 12% slip = 55 mph.
The only accurate speed is by a gps. I don't understand you said it made 53 but then only 50, if its an on board speedo
many times they aren't too accurate. Tachs can be suspect as well.
Your description indicates the motor isn't lugging and 5000 is the bottom of the wot range.

Bchris748

Recruit
It did get up to 53. I ment 53 not 50. That was with the gps. Reading around they say the boat should do 65. I am new to this so please bare with me. If I change the prop would I get more speed?thanks for yourvreplies

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
When your already over 50 adding speed is difficult.12 to 15 mph Isn't likely unless we find some sort of
problem with the rig,motor or hull.
We have a 18 year old rig I think I would start with a motor checkup.Excellent tune and strong compression.
As a starting point is the anti vent plate (just above the prop) about even with the bottom?Does the boat respond to up trim.
Any ventilation (prop slipping)issues?Any unnecessary weight stowed on board or possibly poorly balanced.
Is the bottom clean and smooth?

Bchris748

Recruit
Ok. I will check these issues. The compression came back and was good. The boat did respond to trim up. I will check the anti vent plate