Cavatation help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will look into that. Thanks again for all the help you provided. It is greatly appreciated! John

phillnjack2

Ensign
that is not cavitation/ventilation.
its poor paint on the prop and nothing to worry about.
cavitation burns on a prop are normally in a different area to that in the first picture of the prop.
what your seeing the area that is getting the most pressure from the water leaving the blades.
its just where the outer cup is, this is the part that has to travel the furthest on each revolution and the water at that point is at the most pressure when leaving the blade.
Most alloy props have this to a certain extent, especially those with the least amount of paint.
Most white props seem to get this more than the black or grey props, I honestly have never seen a white prop with as much paint on as dark props.
the OMC alloy props have a pretty heavy black coating on them that is also hard to get off, a Yamaha props is easy to scratch the paint off.

The loose prop nut is because it was not tightened up when put on.
40ft pounds is madness to tighten a prop, I never go much more than about 10ft pounds then put the split pin in the nut and never have a problem.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
From the pics that's not just paint flaking off the blades, I see missing aluminum, looks like cavitation to me.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the reply guy's. I don't know if the pic's show it or not, but there is clearly aluminum missing off all three blades. In fact it's pretty deep, and was to the point where I felt the prop has lost it's integrity. The spare prop I put on it does not have the out cup indentation on it, so maybe that is what caused it.

phillnjack2, the Owners Manual for my motor stated to torque that nut to 40.6 pounds. I just figured that was what everybody tightened the nut at. Doe it cause damage to have it that tight????? Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
In 60 years of boating I have never torqued a prop.I always made sure the assembly was tight.
If 40 lbs is prescribed it won't hurt. 40 lbs on a prop nut doesn't seem like a lot of force.

seamanship

Cadet
I run a 18 ft platoon with 2011 Yamaha60. I bought prop, white, from boats.com, and suppose to be a Yamaha prop. Have the same problem. I keep replacing the paint but I guess it will wear through one day. Mystery to me. Prop is 14x11 Dual Thrust recommended by Yamaha.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I run a 18 ft platoon with 2011 Yamaha60. I bought prop, white, from **********, and suppose to be a Yamaha prop. Have the same problem. I keep replacing the paint but I guess it will wear through one day. Mystery to me. Prop is 14x11 Dual Thrust recommended by Yamaha.

I guess there is a question in there? Please start a new topic if you have a question. This thread is old and inactive.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.