Can a Volvo out drive with a single prop and switch it out for a duel prop.

Fourwinns1

Cadet
I have a 2006 four winns 204 funship with Volvo out drive with a single prop. I just wish it had a little more power so I was wondering if anyone has or if it was even possible to switch it out for the duel prop out drive. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• photo232112.jpeg
    photo232112.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232113.jpeg
    photo232113.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy dual prop lower, unbolt SP lower, install DP lower

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If you get us your gear ratio and prop size and do a lightly loaded test for wot rpm and gps speed we may be able to help tweak your prop selection.
Also what do you mean specifically about a "little more power"

Maclin

Admiral
If you go that route I would get the Dual props. The Duel props fight each other and you never get anywhere :D

Fourwinns1

Cadet
What I want is more punch out of the hole for water sports. I have a ss 4 blade prop on with the most pitch I can have. "I think". I cant quite run wide open because I would be over revving it. That's why I thought the only way to get any more power out of it was to go with duel prop.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for water sports, you want less pitch (however you loose top speed and have the ability to over-rev), for cruising you want more pitch (however your holeshot suffers)

on all my single prop boats, I always had two props. one for watersports, one for cruising.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Often the tach is at fault and not accurate perhaps in error too high.
What is your setup?prop size?,gear ratio?,motor?
If you get us that wot lightly loaded test run we may be able to tell if your numbers are accurate.
As suggested it's not unusual to have 2 props one for water sports the other for cruising etc.
Have you priced a dual prop setup?$
While a dual prop gives amazing grip for hole shot it would surely load the motor even more
requiring less pitch to retain hole shot.

Last edited:

Fourwinns1

Cadet
We live in Nebraska and the lake we are on is small by lake standards. So there is not any cruising a round lol. Yes I know the dual prop set is not cheap probably around $3000 maybe. I was kinda hoping I could find a used one. Either way I got a very good deal on the boat so even if I had to spend $3500 to make it preform better I would be ok with that. we plan on keeping this boat for a long time. I will try and get all the info of the boat this weekend. Thanks for the help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Before investing in any drive or prop you should do that lightly loaded test run and get the wot rpm and gps speed.
Doesn't need to be a long run,just enough to be sure you are up to speed.Get the prop size,usually under the prop nut,motor,and gear ratio if possible.
you should be sure the motor is in excellent tune.Bottom clean and smooth.
Struggling hole shot and overeving don't usually go together.