Prop selection

Walleye Angler

Recruit
Hi Folks,

I own a 1999 Lund Angler 1700 that weighs about 1000 lbs, powered by a Suzuki DT70TL that weighs about 320 lbs, its usually full of gear with a trolling motor up front and 2 deep cycle batteries stored up front too and usually kept full of gas 29 gallons, we usually fish 2 guys weighing around 230 lbs each.

I currently have a 15 pitch aluminum prop, and WOT is 5800 rpm, and top speed on my sonar (gps equipped) is 30 mph.
I have tried a 17 pitch prop that I have for a spare in the boat, WOT is 5400 rpm and top speed is 31 mph, but hole shot sucks.

My question is, would I get improved performance and top speed going to stainless, keeping 15 pitch as the WOT is perfect?

No rocks or bad shoals or shallows where I fish, at least not many, and I have maps in my sonar, I steer clear of danger spots.
And I know the risks to the bottom end should I hit something with it.

I'd just like a few more MPH's would be real nice specially during tournaments.

Thank you!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Stainless is for motors with 250hp or more your motor doesn't spin the prop fast enough to distort it if you go with stainless your getting it cuz it looks pretty IMHO save your money and look into different aluminum props or a bigger motor
For the price you will pay for a stainless you won't see much if any difference

eepmep

Recruit
Gentleman, Im seeking help with prop selection. I'm new to boating, I bought a 1974 Bonanza 18ft tri hull with a Mercruiser 888 185HP I/O. The boat is in decent shape. i recently broke a trim hose and my lower end fell and drug the prop on the highway. So i need to replace it but have no clue what size or pitch. I want to go to a 4 blade prop unless thats not a good idea. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
First of all welcome.You need too start your own post.It is less confusing and more productive.
There is a new post tab at the top of the prop main page.
In the mean time you should find your prop size near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.
You may want to check the rest of your hoses.
Before making any prop changes you need to get us your prop size. Your performance numbers.
wot rpm and gps speed.