Spun my prop...

Tom3600

Cadet
Hit something in the river yesterday. Engine raced but boat wasn't going anywhere. Found I could limp back to my marina at 2200 rpm. Just bought boat 1989 Cruiser Rogue 2522 with 454 and 5 blade SS prop. Boat is still in water. Pretty sure the hub is bad. Any clue to which outdrive I have? Alpha one or bravo one? I can't get the serial number without taking the boat out. I want to order a hub to fix. Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The hub is in the prop normally you would simply take it to a prop shop and have them repair the hub.
They may have to repair the prop as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most of the Crusiers Rogues with porkchop motors were Bravo ones. however look at the pictures https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/inboard-and-sterndrive/drives/

the alpha drive leading edge is back from the leading edge of the cavitation plate and the Bravo drive sticks forward. Alpha has short little anodes on the rams (about 3/4" long. Bravo has long anodes on rams (about 2.5" long)

Alpha drive has raw water pump in leg, Bravo has it bolted to the engine.

Post pic of boat :)

Tom3600

Cadet
No Title

I'm betting on an Alpha one drive. Your description of the anodes seems like what I have. I am getting some corrosion on the outdrive and was thinking of replacing them with magnesium anodes over the winter.

Attachments

• photo229449.jpg
    photo229449.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229450.jpg
    photo229450.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
from your picture you have a Bravo.

draw a line across the prop and hub, take it for a spin. if the line remains in tact, it is not the hub.

nice looking Rogue, mine is red (or pink depending on where it faded the most). I like the tinted windows, however we boat in the evening and at night once in a while.

Tom3600

Cadet
I'm removing the tinting. It's very annoying. Not sure what the guy was thinking. Boats in great shape right up until I spun the hub! Boat doesn't plane real well on start but once it's down I can get about 56 mph out of it!

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm removing the tinting. It's very annoying. Not sure what the guy was thinking. Boats in great shape right up until I spun the hub! Boat doesn't plane real well on start but once it's down I can get about 56 mph out of it!

Ahhh yes, the never ending trade off of hole shot and top speed...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would vent the prop to improve the holeshot

Tom3600

Cadet
Went from a 5 blade SS prop to a 3 blade SS. RPM went a little higher and I plane so much better but since the speedometer isn't working I'm not sure of speed. that being said, what's the thought on going to an aluminum prop? My lower unit has already got some serious corrosion on it. Will going to an aluminum prop "stop the bleeding" so to say? Not too concerned with speed anymore. I only run the boat at 3000 rpm as it just drinks gas like a fish!