Where to trade props

Txphil

Recruit
I have had a Mercury HighFive 21p prop on my Mercruiser but have come to the conclusion that I'm a bit over-propped, probably needing a 19p. I was hoping to find someone with a four or five blade 19p that has the opposite circumstance and would like to trade. Not luck on CL so far. Anyone know of a good place to find someone for such a thing? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Try a prop shop. They may have some test props. No guarantee you will find a shop to do that.

In the mean time, how some info? What boat, WOT RPMs, GPS top speed and what do you use the boat for? Members here do pretty good job of dialing in the right prop. A 5 blade may not be the best for your type of use.

Txphil

Recruit
Thanks so much! Yeah I did try one prop shop, but the guy had zero interest in a HighFive. I thought it was a good prop and would trade for another one. I'm going out tonight and can get some of those specs. I have a 18' Tahoe Q4SF with a wakeboard tower and 3.0 TKS. I normally carry at least four people on board. I rarely run top speed wide open and really just need the acceleration for skiing and holding steady speed for skiing and tubing.

Txphil

Recruit
No Title

This is going to look like I'm propped exactly right. I got 40 mph by GPS at 4800 RPM WOT with three people in the boat. Maybe I just need to give up and buy a cheap four blade aluminum for those times I know I'm going to have more people and more towing to do.

Attachments

• photo227336.jpg
    photo227336.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have any input on your specific application, but I've been running the cheap solas Amita 4 blade props and they come out of the hole awesome. But you touch it on something and it needs the prop shop. IMO they perform excellent, but are made of junk material, hence the $90 price tag!

Txphil

Recruit
Thanks! At that price, it would be worth trying out just to see if that makes things better. I also just installed the nauticus smart tabs. Now those made a huge difference! It's like a completely different boat. But still want to see how well that lower pitch would do to make things even better.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are missing the step for trading the prop.

step 1, is trade the prop for cash (via Ebay, or Craigslist)
step 2 is add some cash to the pile
step 3 is trade cash for the prop you want.

you may never find the opportunity to trade a prop directly for a prop.