how much does a slightly bent crap Propaffect performance?

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys I have A Merc 125 and it has an aluminum prop all three blades have at least one or two small dents worse than just NickS but they aren't bad. I'm just wondering if this is not that big of a deal or if I should pay to have it straightened. or if I can even do this with an aluminum prop. also if it does affect performance how much and how so. thanks in advance for any help James

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
To evaluate your prop we need pictures.First of all if you feel vibrations you should get it repaired or replaced which ever seems cost effective.
Minor dents can be straightened by you but what you call minor could be much different from others evaluation.
If you try to repair to severe a dent it will break off.In that event it can still be repaired by a prop shop if that is cost effective.
It's pretty difficult to evaluate the effect of a ding or dent.It is safe to say that usually it will lose some performance but you may not even be able to tell.
If you do a lightly loaded wot test run,get us your prop size,(under the prop nut)boat info,rpm and gps speed we may be able to evaluate your present performance.

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

here are some pics the one from the side is the worst.

Attachments

• photo226898.jpg
    photo226898.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226899.jpg
    photo226899.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Send that prop to a prop shop and have the prop repainted and blades straighten out[FONT=arial, sans-serif] as factory delivered.

Happy Boating
[/FONT]

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you can have it fixed for 40-50 bucks - or replace with same prop new and keep that for a spare.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
After seeing the prop I'm thinking a new prop is on order.A Solas Amita has a good reputation.Just being newer technology could improve performance.
Put the old prop on board as a spare.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Doesn't look too bad, but that's hard to tell from a couple little pics. Can YOU tell if it's affecting performance? Judging only by what I can see, I would probably get a new prop and send the other one out for repair. Then you're back on the water, with a good prop, and will have a good spare soon.

Bondo

Staff member
I'm just wondering if this is not that big of a deal or

Ayuh,... The Prop, is where the horsepower meets the water,....

Think of it this way,....
How well would a Hot Rod run, if ya take the tires off, 'n run on the steel wheels,..??..??