OMC 2.5L 120HP

my jenny

Cadet
Hi, I was wondering what size prop we should have on; 16'8" Play Time open bow, OMC 2.5L 120HP. New to the pitch/size.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume you have a current prop with that engine ? If so, need to go for a wot spin you alone on flat calm no wind water cond and check max wot achieved on that run to see if inside min-max rpm range stated for that engine.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
17 pitch or 15 pitch would be my first guess. 19 pitch may work, but you may have a sluggish holeshot

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Your present prop size should be near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check the stickies at the top of the forums for suggestions of low WOT

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does the engine revs even throughout the whole throttle range ?
How many people were on board when tested while achieving so low rpm ?
Does tach reads accurate ?
Is prop in good healthy cond, probably you are experiencing nasty hub issues or you have a spun hub already ?
If 2000 wot revs are real, you?re extremely lugging the engine which is no bueno...

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Have you looked under the prop nut for prop size?What is the gps speed at 2000. Probably not on plane.
Have you done a cylinder drop to see if all are firing?

my jenny

Cadet
I never thought to use my gps to see how fast we were "NOT" going! LOL....I will do next time. Only my husband and I onboard. The prop we have on there now is 13x19B. Yes the tach seems accurate.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If all of the above is OK seems a prop hub failure....Can you borrow another prop to test ?

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is this called a Sea Drive or a 400
Is it a V4 2 stroke? Depending on the model there may be only one prop higher so I'm thinking a 17 may get it done though still sluggish.
Gear ratio is 1.86 Everything sound and tuned I think a 19 might work but I think there is a problem.Perhaps the foam has absorbed water over the years.
Is the timing set right and advancing as it should? Throttle opening all the away?