1959 5.5 evinrude fisherman prop question!!!

erik111

Cadet
Hey folks, I was hoping to get some insight on my question. I hace a 1959 5.5 evinrude golden jubilee and it runs like a dream now after a fair bit of work. It currently only has a 2 blade prop on it. I understand this little thing is not going to get me from a to b in record time, but im curious if I am able to install a syandard 3 blade prop on this to maybe improve all around performance such as weeded area maybe a little bit quicker etc. Is this an option for me? What size prop would i need? How do i measure a prop properly?

Thanks for you time and advice

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The standard prop is weed resistant. I believe it may be 8" X 7 1/4".may be marked near the base of the blades.
On a light boat perhaps like a Jon with a wide planing surface Could do as much as 12 mph.
You'll need a tiller extension so you can sit in the middle seat.
We had a Gale 5,a cousin to your Evinrude, on a 12 ft flat bottom steel boat It would pop on plane in 50 ft
and run 10 or 12 mph. with a 180 pounder in the middle seat.
Nearly impossible to measure pitch.A 2 blade is considered ideal for normal operation and easier to spin than a 3. But a 3 blade may be better for heavy loads.
I think we can agree a 5.5 on most any boat is in a heavy operation.Larger motors now usually run a 3 blade prop as these have a better overall performance.
Its interesting that some later 5 hp used a 3 blade while some 6 hp models used a 2 blade prop.Perhaps different gear ratios.

erik111

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I think as of now im just going to leave it the way it is.