Speed

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I'm gonna take a guess at this and it all depends on how it's setup as far as load, motor height,prop . If everything it in the sweet spot id think it should run high 20s low 30s . That is just a guess.

ahicks

Captain
Good point. If the engine is turning it's max rated rpm at wide open throttle - the boat is going as fast as it's going to - unless you change something (e.g. load, under belly skinning, 4 bade prop, etc.).

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Did I miss something guys? He asked what his top speed should be ! Not if he was getting all he can get which would relate to knowing if he's getting the full recommended wot rpms . I didn't have the speed chart that I have seen on here many times I just took a guess at it.

ahicks

Captain
I was thinking the same at first, but then it dawned on me we're talking about a tri toon here (not a 30 year old boat w/40hp). Guessing a boat like this is equipped with a tach? That should give him the answer to his question with no more info than he's given us.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
That seems to happen alot. Very little information and alot of the post never get a ending.

Bigdog42642

Recruit
I'm turning bout 5500 rpm best I can get it 26-29 mph just don't seem right I'm thinking with a 130 hp all aluminum boat I should be running faster than that.. What you all think??

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your engine's RPM range is 5K-6K so it appears that you've got the right prop. IMO, properly trimmed, 29 mph, plus/minus 1-2 mph is probably the best you're going to get.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with post #9
when I was building my tritoon every one said I wouldn't be completely satisfied until I had a 150 or bigger on it and they were right. I'm not sure y dealers sale them with anything less than a 150. Just to give you a idea my boat is a 21' I'm running a strong 150 XP 2 stroke. Lightly loaded it runs 43 with a load 38 . I also have lifting strakes which make a difference. The underneath is also skinned.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bigdog, Do you have lifting strakes? What prop are you running, aluminum or stainless, what pitch? Do you know the gear box ratio of your motor? If not, what year is it?

I would do a prop calculation and see where that comes out with several estimated slippage factors. If the boat has lifting strakes I would think you should get into the low 30's on speed. At one point my 23 foot tritoon had a old 140 hp (about 125 real hp) and I had the center toon only with strakes. I know I was getting a little better than 30 mph but that was with a nice 4 blade prop.

Without strakes and with a ordinary stock 3 blade aluminum prop you may be getting to your limit. If you can provide the above info, it would help to give a more accurate response.

ahicks

Captain
You've got a nice boat. I'd just enjoy it. There's not much you're going to do to it that will produce anything dramatically different than what you have now. Not without a major redesign of the boat's tubes anyway. If you already have lifting strakes, even that may be somewhat "iffy". 4 blade prop can produce more punch down low, but I wouldn't expect too much more up top.

Bigdog42642

Recruit
Thank you all for you help. Guy worked for in past had fast boats I guess I was expecting faster than this when bought the 130 hp..anyway thank you all

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been boating for many years. 6 years with a 24ft pontoon boat .Most of the time there's just the two of us. Our 90 hp two strok Merc. will push the boat right along. Trim is very important ,and how many are in the boat., If the people sit up front speed lowers.I get the best performance running around 4,000 rpm's depending on the tide. We run it mostly in the upper Cheasapeake Bay with a forty ft.depth channel..We use a three blade prop..18 mph by GPS. Best speed and gas mileage.Some times when I want to turn heads I'll kick it up to 5200 rpms for a short distance.I never run wide open all the time.