Rebuild: Keep the existing Rails or go with Fiberglass?

ShawnFord1121

Recruit
I'm an experienced welder, and have experience with Fiberglass. Using closed cell foam and carbon fiber, I can make 1" to 3" thick siding that is stronger and lighter than the existing aluminum rails. Other than the expense, what would be the downside of using Fiberglass instead of traditional Aluminum panel over Aluminum Rails?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Shawn, I need more info on what you are talking about. Can you post some pictures or further descript what you are talking about? I'm not that bright... :sorry:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you're talking about a wall that would be similar to the aluminum and foam walls in semi trailers I think that would be an interesting product to play with on a pontoon rebuild. I think it would be overkill for traditional pontoon rails, but I would love to look at enclosing a pontoon to make a small houseboat using a similar product.

I have a friend who owns a company that refurbishes construction site trailers. He gave me a ballpark price of $3K to put an 8X14 enclosure with windows all around, sliding door front and rear and a walk on roof on my 19 foot boat

ahicks

Captain
I'm wondering why you would go to the trouble/expense? Is the alum. siding/panels shot?