Water Spray on '03 Crest 22 Sport

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a used Crest pontoon and noticed that when I am running at higher speeds that water shoots up the cracks between the adjustable transom. They are very minor slits maybe about 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide but the amount of water that comes up through there is pretty intense. I was thinking to rivet some rubber over the slits or maybe use some really tough caulk to fill the space but wanted to know if anybody else had this problem?

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've used two kinds of sealer. For general sealing for water spray under the pontoon and towards the rear I use a product called NP-1. It's a Butyl caulk gun material that's used for metal roof sealing around penetrations. The metal roof folks throw a fit if you put silicone on it because it won't stay. You can find it at a good HVAC supply house that deals in sheet metal products. It's some nasty stuff and won't come off. I have also used some of the 3 M Automix heavy bodied seam sealer. The auto body shops use it for sealing body panels and it's a two part epoxy but you have to have a special gun to apply it which costs slightly less than $100 and there's a $300 model as well. The dual tube sealer costs around $35. It's also some serious stuff and more durable than the NP-1. If you buy the 3 M gun, they make some Panel Bond epoxy that will glue about anything you want. I keep finding new things to use it on. The auto body shops use the Panel Bond to glue fenders back on cars rather than welding them on. They only weld in critical areas now days and glue the rest.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a tube of the 3M 5200 stuff...do you think that will hold? I only need it to last this year so I can take a look underneath of it because I don't think this should be happening.

ahicks

Captain
If you even suspect something might be wrong, I darn sure wouldn't be using it much until I found out. Those engine mounting pods do occasionally pull loose from the supporting cross members for various reasons. If a problem like that exists, you could find your engine hanging by it's steering and control cables. Not cool at all...

Isn't there a sand bar or something you could pull up on that might allow a quick inspection? Or get into deeper water with a life jacket on and float underneath to get a good visual?

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
...Isn't there a sand bar or something you could pull up on that might allow a quick inspection? Or get into deeper water with a life jacket on and float underneath to get a good visual?

:noidea:...Best to pull the Toon up onto your trailer and do a thorough inspection on dry land then do the necessary repairs.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't pick up on the possibility that there could be a structural problem. I read it as though there is water shooting up through the adjustable transom mount (is this a jack plate?) and just needed sealing. I've never used the 3M 5200 but I've heard good things about it. Check the cure time, I read some of it is a week. If you've got some I'd clean it good and try it.

I like getting several inputs because someone else may see something that others miss. With that said, I'd do a good inspection to make sure those slits are normal and not a structural issue.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
3M 5200 is normally used as a permanent sealer and is a bear to remove and cleaned off. 3M4200 is more pliable and much easier to remove.

ahicks

Captain
:noidea:...Best to pull the Toon up onto your trailer and do a thorough inspection on dry land then do the necessary repairs.

What, you don't like getting wet? If anything, floating/crawling around under the 'toon would allow a quick inspection that would not be restricted by having to deal with the trailer structure. If there is a structural failure, then you would likely want to get it out of the water for repair. That said, I did a complete redeck and repower with the 24' toon tied up at my dock when I was a little younger. Crawling around in the sand under the boat and working in knee deep water while staying nice and cool made that somewhat ugly job much more comfortable.....

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
What, you don't like getting wet? If anything, floating/crawling around under the 'toon would allow a quick inspection that would not be restricted by having to deal with the trailer structure......

It's because I can't swim :rolleyes: :lol: .

flash drive

Recruit
I have an 04 Crest 22ft as well and have the same problem. I do not have any issues with the transom being damaged but don't like the idea of the spray constantly coming up and over the fuel tank. I bought some sealant from West Marine, it was 3M but sorry not sure what type. It dried in 24 hrs. and no more problems.