Are Lawn Chairs Legal on a Pontoon

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We love to fish and are planning to remove most of the furniture on our pontoon, are lawn chairs illegal to ride in while underway, I know pedestal seats are illegal to ride in over idle speed in Tennessee.

ahicks

Captain
Legally, I believe the concern needs to be about what you're riding on when "outside" the fence/guard rails while underway (faster than "no wake" speed?). Not sure if anything will meet those requirements.

Regarding lawn chairs, depending on the style, those can be pretty unstable if the boat is hit by a wave or wake from the side. Speaking from many years experience using them on our boats, which seldom have furniture ahead of the helm, I've seen plenty of people caught unaware and toppled onto the floor (no, not all were drinking, but some maybe). The most stable seat we've found are the plastic Adirondack style. They have a wide foot print and are nice and low to the ground. Have never seen one of those tip. They're comfortable for hours on end and all we ever use any more. Bonus is they stack nicely to get them out of the way when necessary.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Pedestals are illegal over idle speed OUTSIDE the rails on a 'toon. The issue is being over/outside the gunwale (or rails on a pontoon). And no, there's nothing illegal about lawn chairs on a 'toon. We used to run one that way years ago, and frankly I prefer it to all of the sofas and benches these days. ahicks is right, if things get real bouncy out on the lake, the chairs can tip.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no idea on the legality of such chairs, but I wouldn't want to be using one while underway...

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really do appreciate all your responses. Our grandsons (bigger than us) have the fishing pox really bad, that is the reason we swapped our camper for the pontoon. Fishing from the furniture that is on there now would not work. We have upholstered seats almost every foot of the rail which limit areas for fishing to maybe 3 feet and the two gates. We are removing most upholstered seating and are open for suggestions that would be safe while underway. I am an ole man, I am not into all the fast cruising anymore, a moderate speed to get us from one spot to another is all we need, an 85 hp rude isn't going to set any records anyway.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I doubt there is a law about such chairs that is uniform from state to state. Your best bet for a reliable answer is to contact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

southkogs

Staff member
While underway - 2 5-day coolers with cushions on top and a pedestal seat at the helm. When yer' parked and fishing: stand along the sides or a fold out chair.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks fellows, I now plan to have one furniture seat for my wife, and five pedestal seats inside the rails and two outside, also have a couple of lawn chairs. That should just about do it. Not planning the have 4 people most times and at times 6 people so we should have the seats covered.

Thanks again.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As far as I know, you can sit on anything you want inside the rails.