Quick Skinning Question

bmag02

Cadet
This may be a dumb question, but it there any reason that I wouldn't be able to use leftover corrugated metal roofing as under skinning on my pontoon? Seems like it should work. At least I can't think of any real reason it shouldn't. Sure it may not last as long as aluminum, or be as easy to work with, or look as nice, but free versus $400+ sure sounds good to me.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
The weight would be the only reason I wouldn't want to. Here's another thought. Remember the plastic bed liners that let everything slide around in your bed ? You can find them laying around in salvage yards and on CL cheap cut them out to the size you need. Light weight and will last forever . Remember to use stainless screws and flat washers.

ahicks

Captain
Not sure I'd be a fan of having metal bolted/screwed to aluminum in a wet/marine environment.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
What exactly are you trying to accomplish??
my understanding is he's under skinning under his pontoon to keep the waves from hitting the cross members and slowing him down and or the water from coming up between the floor joints.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wouldn't do it if I were planning to keep it for several years. And it might make it harder to sell unless you find someone who doesn't understand how dissimilar metals react in wet conditions. I wouldn't expect it to last more than a few years. ... Now imagine blasting across the water when the leading edge of one of the failing panels drops down and catches a wave. :eek:

bmag02

Cadet
I'm wanting to skin the underside of my pontoon deck for a smoother ride. Do you think adding a furring strips between the steel and aluminum would be sufficient enough to stop the corrosion that might occur? Just thinking of ways to improve the boat without spending a lot of money.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm wanting to skin the underside of my pontoon deck for a smoother ride. Do you think adding a furring strips between the steel and aluminum would be sufficient enough to stop the corrosion that might occur? Just thinking of ways to improve the boat without spending a lot of money.

Theoretically, yes. I'd probably consider something non-conductive like a 1/8" x 1" wide plastic strip between the aluminum crossmembers and the steel roofing. Be sure and use stainless steel screws. ... Assuming your boat is like mine, the space to be skinned is 4' wide except at the front where the pontoons narrow. It's unlikely your roof panels are exactly 4' wide, so you'll either have to overlap narrower panels or trim a wider one. Trimming corrugated panels at the front could be challenging if you don't have the right tools. A plasma cutter would probably work well. .... Another thing to consider before starting is that unlike flat sheet aluminum, corrugated panels may be more prone to distort under strong pressure from the water. If I were going with a corrugated panel, I'd want a fastener in every valley that is supported by a crossmember. Lastly, remember to start at the back and work forward. You're less likely to have a panel pulled free if the front ones overlap the leading edges of the rear ones.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
If you're going to underskin your boat, just do it right. Use aluminum sheeting. Pontoonstuff.com sells a hardware kit that'll save you for attaching the sheets.

My Bennington tritoon is underskinned, and I cannot tell you how much quieter and better riding it is vs. my old pontoon boat. It's a job worth doing right.