Redoing the deck

Moe1971

Recruit
I have a question about redecking my dads pontoon boat. the deck was exactly 16'x8' and the purling runs left to right over the tubes. the old deck was laid with the sheets running the same way as the purling i.e. the sheets were 4' from the front of the boat to the back laid down edge to edge. but my question is would it be better to go back with the same format or is it better to lay 2 sheets side by side with 8' from the front to back of each set of 2 sheets.TIA for any help you can give me.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Moe,
I suspect the sheets were laid that way so the joints could lie directly over a purling/crossmember. If you run them lengthwise, I suspect there will be places where the two adjoining sheets don't stay aligned (up and down).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: moe to iboats. Great having you aboard...

If your floor was laid out with the plywood laying left to right. It was because the cross members were there to support the seams of each sheet. BUT, that also means that laying them long ways front to back there would still be cross members to support the seams as well. Four sheets laid front to back will mean two four foot sections will lay side by side and two more behind those two sheets. So there would be no support between the two four foot side by side sections on their long eight foot lengths unless there are more supports underneath. Actually depending on the type plywood you purchase, it may not even matter. I bought some 1/2" ply last week that way only four plies. Two running each direction so either way they were laid didn't matter. Their strengthen was the same. So it is really you choice and the type of plywood will make the difference... JMHO!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I myself would run the sheets left to right and not front to rear, I would think having the seams on top of the crossmembers would give you more support, and I would think if it was put down with the seam running front to rear you would get a bounce in the flooring and water in the seam. JMO

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat was redecked with the plywood sheets side by side. The seam runs the entire length of the boat right in the middle causing it to give if I step right next to the seam between the supports. I am also concerned that rot could start at the seam due to water intrusion. It is not a bad enough problem for me to fix but may make the boat harder to sell some day because it feels like soft spots in the plywood.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would run them the same way they came from the factory, with a good sealer on the cross member and between the sheets. The seem down the center will be the source of a lot of issues if it doesn't stay sealed for the life of the deck. It is much easier to get and keep a seal with the cross member running beneath and spanning the two sheets of decking.