1972 Appleby Pontoon re-build - need help (deck removal)

SabreJim

Recruit
I have a 72 Appleby Pontoon (28') that I am overhauling. The 4x8 sheets of marine plywood do not rest upon the joist tops like one would expect. No, that would be easy. Nothing about this demo has been easy. The wood is "inserted" (i.e. wedged) into the top of a double "I" beam every four feet. They don't just slide out (nor will the new wood just slide in but I'll worry about that next). I have cut the wood lengthwise with the idea of "pulling" out the wood from the grooves in half sheets. Nope. That stuff is really wedged in there. Maybe the attached picture will help you visualize.
boat perplex.jpg

The wood shown above is not representative as this is more rotted that most. The rotted stuff comes out easier. Non-rotted wood is nearly impossible.

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Perplexed in Perryville.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Could you cut a 6 inch strip out of the middle of each board? Then starting at the ends where the wood is wedged under the beams pry inwards towards the missing section of wood. It may still be tough to pry out. In the end you may have to cut out the bigger portion of each sheet and pry out the remaining wood from the beams.

on inserting the new deck it might go in easier as the old deck has expanded with time from gaining moisture. Not gonna be a fun job either way.

Good luck and :welcome: to iboats.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What a pain. Did they also seal them in that grove? If your not interested in going back together that way you can cut the old sheets off next to the stringers,unbolt them,and replace them with new aluminum C-channels.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Maybe seal sections in a tarp with a dehumidifier and suck the moisture out of the wood.
Maybe cut the wood close to the beam fashion a wood chisel about the size of the groove and dig it out.
If you need to work with short sections maybe use a metal working burr to drill into the wood in the groove to create short sections.
The metal working tool won't be damaged if you run into the metal. Perhaps a guide will let you rout it out of there.
Maybe fashion a long flat chisel out or a piece of strap iron. not necessarily sharp maybe rounded so you can drive it in behind the wood.
I'm exhausted.

SabreJim

Recruit
I have taken another approach. I have began unbolting the stringers. The outboard were easy, inboard - not so much. I am cutting access holes in the decking to reach the inboard bolts. If I could get underneath the boat I could reach them but with it on the trailer - no dice. Once un-bolted, next task will be to separate the decking from the channel. I may end up installing new stringers or modifying the old ones by cutting the tops off. But I'm not going to think about that today, I'm going to think about that tomorrow. (so said Scarlet O'Hara - GWTW).

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's an ugly looking job. If I had more money than time, I'd go demolition style and start cutting wood close to the stringers, and then cut the heads off the stringer bolts and replace the stringers. If I had more time than money I'd use a cutting wheel to cut away the top I of each stringer so the wood could come straight up. I'd secure the new wood deck to the lower I of the stringer with screws. ... Good luck in whatever you do.