Hydraulic / Power Steering Upgrade

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking about upgrading my steering system to some type of "Power Steering" unit. Right now I've got a Tele-Flex anti-feedback single cable system that works well for no feedback but it's hard to steer when you get past cruising speed. My pontoon boat is a tri-toon with a 150 HP running right at 40 mph. Has anyone used a power steering system that they would recommend?

ahicks

Captain
I think what you're after is a hydraulic steering unit. Surprised the dealer didn't insist on installing one when the boat was fitted out originally. Teleflex Seastar is popular.

There's no pump or booster of any kind involved. The hydraulic works because there's so much less friction when turning the wheel vs. what's involved with a push/pull cable.

If this will be a DIY project, you might poke around a little on Ebay.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I just installed the sea star unit on my 150 tri toon I must say I'm impressed with the ease of install they said it takes two people to bleed the system I done this by myself in 30 min . I hung a catch bottle with a hose to the bleeder with a full bottle hanging supplying the pump and turned the wheel till I seen very little bubbles running into catch can. This took about a quart then switched to the opposite side started with full quart and repeated the above. When I closed the bleeder I left the supply hooked up turned the wheel one way to dead lock and jerked back really quick and air would come up hose I did this till no air from either direction let sit for about 30 min and repeated. Haven't got to lake test yet but so far I'm impressed.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Seastar is the one you want,MaPaHa. And it does have a pump. The steering wheel mounts to it,and your the motor that turns the pump. I've installed a few of these too,and like Ercoa mentioned it's fairly simple. You'll never go back to cable. Zero feed back.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the new to me Toon I currently have an Evinrude 50hp 2 stroke that runs great with a cable steering that's a little sloppy. On my fishing boat, I just repowered from a Merc 50hp 4 stoker with a Seastar hydraulic system to a Yamaha 115 hp 4 stroke and installed a new Seastar system. I'm seriously leaning towards swapping out motors and steering from the Evinrude to the Merc, which is a lot of work but imo well worth it. Benifits are no oil/gas mixing and hydraulic steering ;).

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I'll check out the SeaStar system and probably get one on order. This is a built up Tri-Toon so it's a DIY project for sure. I like the fact there is no booster pump that has to be powered up. I'm doing some other work to it right now so it's a good time while I've got it in my shop.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your going to need the seastar power assist pump with that 150. I know 1st hand cause I have a 150 and even upgrade to just the seastar system I still needed the power assist pump.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wonder what's different about your setup, Randy? I've ran that system on several 150's,200's,and a 225 without an assist pump. All steered with ease even at full throttle.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably not being tritoon and no strakes on our pontoon, plus it's heavy for a pontoon.