First time pontoon boat buyer

saxamattone

Recruit
Hello! My wife and I have finally decided to dip into the craziness of boat ownership, and the more research we do the more confused we get. We are pretty sure we want a pontoon boat...activities would be just cruising around, perhaps some tubing...swimming, etc in the lake. Hoping for low maintenance as far as mechanics/motor goes.

With that said...what would others recommend we look for in a good used boat? We are trying to spend under $8000. As a beginning boater, would an outboard motor be a better choice than inboard? We've found this one on Craigslist ( http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/4972827491.html )...thoughts?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The pictures look good for a boat that age. I've never owned and I/O motor, so I can't comment on it. It's a good size motor for tubing with the boat. If I were seriously interested in this boat, I'd be willing to pay a good mechanic $200 to check it out for me. The downside is that most of the good ones have a waiting list of work. .... Pontoon boats are simplicity itself. If the logs don't leak, the deck doesn't have soft spots, the furniture looks and feels nice, and the motor starts and runs reliably, that's about all there is to it. ... If you will need a trailer, be sure to factor that into your budget.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I've never had an I/O but I feel they definately have a higher maintenance than an outboard.
The have universal joints that need regular service there is a Gimble assembly that requires service
there are some bellows that keep water out of the assembly.
The I/O system is heavier,There are 2 water pumps,The motor block needs to be fully winterized if you have any freezing temperatures.
The I/O is a car motor adapted to marine service.
The outboard is a purpose designed system basically dating back the the very early 1900s.
There is only one pump that does require replacement every few years depending on the conditions and use.
The outboard cooling system drains every time the motor is upright when out of the water.So
no problem in freezing weather as long as you follow winterizing procedures.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I myself prefer the outboard motor , depending on where your located, It would be great if you could find one that someone already has in the water, that way you will know the pontoons are ok, and you can go for a test ride.

ahicks

Captain
I would caution that in that age/price range, you are going to be looking at boats that may be needing major work soon, with tops and seat upholstery right at the top of that list. It may look great when you get it, and start falling apart soon afterward/next season. You would be searching for boats stored indoors in the winter, with a cover used regularly (after every use) during the summer. If you see checking, loose seams, or vinyl that feels stiff, those are all signs of impending doom (and likely sooner than later). Be really wary at that point, and adjusting your offers to reflect the price of upholstery replacement.

I/O's are nice, but they are extra maintenance/weight. With the newer generation of 4 stoke outboards, you don't see many I/O's any more. I would also be wary of Johnson or Evinrude (OMC) engines with VRO units (early generation oil injection). Troublesome, and expensive to repair. If the VRO unit has been disabled fine.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
If the boat pictured is checks out good by a boat mechanic, then that is a good buy.
I noticed most of the negative comments about I/O were by people who have never owned an I/O.
I personally went from a pontoon with a Mercury 115 HP outboard to a tritoon with a MerCruiser I/O. I could never figure out how to work on those engines that stand up vertically. The I/O's are basically modified car engines.
The key is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. If you can get the previous owners maintenance records that will tell you a whole lot about that boat.

Welcome and good luck,

Larry

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Evinrude and Johnson are really good motors most vro pumps have been bypassed the some of the newer ones with the fict system was troublesome but any carbed Johnnyrude are great dependable motors. So don't let one persons opinion scare you. As to the inboards they are fine as long as you winterized them

ahicks

Captain
Agree Evinrude/Johnson engines are top shelf. Agree a lot of those with VRO system have had the VRO disabled. My warning was regarding those that have not.... and the trouble/expense to have that done.

Regarding I/O, as somebody that's been living on a lake most of his life, worked on recreational boats professionally for a few years, and is now a senior, let's say I've had/worked on my share of I/O's. Didn't say or mean to imply they weren't nice, but when you compare the relative maintenance requirements outboard vs. I/O, there's not much of a contest. As low maintenance was high on the list of the OP's desirable attributes, I took that approach. Further, with the availability of the 4 stroke outboards today, I fail to see ANY advantage of the I/O.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally i would steer clean of an i/o especially for a first time boat owner. That price is high in my opinion. Even a well kept interior from 97 will have issues. Do you see how cramped that engine compartment is...imagine working on that. Also it adds another point where you boat could leak from. We have friends with an i/o and they have problems constantly. The good thing with an outboard is that if your engien goes you can just swap out a new one in a an hour. Swapping a i/o is a large job.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't know where you live, but here with the market being what it is, you would probably never find anything in that price range that will do the things you want to do. As first-time toon buyer, run from an I/O as others have already stated.

The motor on these things is where the money is.

If you want to tube, you need something in at least a 90 hp range on a 20ft pontoon and 115 on a larger one. A 150 is a better option and as you go up in power, so does the cost.

Some may tell me to pack sand, and I don't know what kind of taste you have, but you will probably need to spend 12k to get something solid. Then again, some people are happy on a 2k boat.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WaterDR is right on. I agree completely. I have a 115 on a 26ft Pontoon. It is sufficient but I would prefer a 150. Most of the time is spent cruising and swimming so in reality I am not sure if the jump in cost for the 150 and hydraulic steering would be worth it.??? However, if I had to do it again I would get the 150. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was in your shoes a year and a half ago. I started looking at boats at less than $8k too. After looking for awhile, I decided that I wanted a 4 stroke engine(90Hp minimum), 22 foot and a little less wear so I bumped up my target price to $13k.

I found a boat that was a 5 hour drive from me with low hours.

For a pontoon, I wanted an outboard only. Stern drives in pontoons can be very hard to work on.

Last edited: