1989 Lowe 20' pontoon boat - aluminum corrosion repair and general insight

djm3801

Seaman
I am looking at a 1989 Lowe 20' pontoon boat. Boat itself - deck - seats - carpeting - railings - is in decent shape for the money - I expect to pay $3200 for boat, 50HP Johnson VRO (VRO disconnected) and Magictilt trailer (galvanized). U shaped pontoons. Deck 2 years old. There are a couple of places were use in brackish water had corroded through. I intend on using it in brackish water - Intercoastal waterway - and in fresh water. It will be trailered. Like 1/4" spots. For the most part the bottoms of the pontoons are somewhat rough but not severe. I am looking at sanding, aluminum wash of some kind, Marine Tex bad spots and the Gluvit to above water line.

I have also seen Interlux products but know less about these. I have seen suggestions here to use a product called POR-15. Know nothing of that.

My question to those who are familiar with Aluminum - is this viable?

One other question - The boat sits on carpeted bunk trailer - two bunks under each pontoon so I can see bottoms of pontoons but not areas touching bunks. I am assuming that the bottoms of the pontoons would be similar to areas touching bunks.

shown are area of worst corrosion by far, apparent puncture and general pontoon condition, and side view of boat.

Boat weights 1500 pounds, motor 190, Trailer 490. 2380 pounds. So - from a weight perspective, I can tow it with my Toyota Sienna which has a capacity of 3600 pounds. Max to will be about 20 miles less than 55 MPH.

Thanks for insight

Attachments

• photo218168.jpg
    photo218168.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218169.jpg
    photo218169.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218170.jpg
    photo218170.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeep Man

Commander
IMHO, I would run far away from this one. The big problem is that most if not all U shaped pontoons are foam filled. When they leak, the foam gets saturated and cannot be dried out. Removal can only be done with major surgery. What has compounded the problem, the carpeted bunks retain the salty water and add to the continuing corrosion.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with Ray. Given the apparent condition of the logs, that price is not low enough to justify the risk. ... I know this is the time of the year when you want to be moving rapidly toward being on the water, but I wouldn't buy that boat if it were me.

ahicks

Captain
This is a project boat. One that's needing new pontoons. Your offer should reflect that.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, run don't walk away from that one...i ran into this issue with my first toon....and after rebuilding the whole thing i had to scrap it because the toons were soo bar....almost sunk after being in the water for an hour the first time i launched it