Painting, Rhino Lining or Plasti Dipping Pontoon paneling

unculver

Recruit
I have a 2003 Crest 3 Classic in which I hate the colors and would like to make the paneling a solid color. I am sure someone has painted, rhino lined, or plasti dipped. Do you have any recommendations? Also i don't want to spend a fortune. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I have been looking into this myself. I have made it as far as removal of the vinyl strips and letters which I used a hot power washer for but has left the glue residue behind. I'm thinking about using like a vinyl wrap or just spray paint.

unculver

Recruit
Have you priced a vinyl wrap? I want something atheistically pleasing but cheap...

Jeep Man

Commander
I have been looking into this myself. I have made it as far as removal of the vinyl strips and letters which I used a hot power washer for but has left the glue residue behind. I'm thinking about using like a vinyl wrap or just spray paint.

Either way, the glue needs to be removed.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I rebuilt my old pontoon boat, the fences needed a lot of work. I spent a lot of time trying to remove the decals and glue before deciding on an easier course. The fences were off the boat so the job was a little easier that way. I pressure washed them to remove as much chalky paint, decals and flaking as possible. My fences were manufactured with a dimpled texture in the aluminum, so I wan't too worried about minor dents. I was mostly worried about putting on a finish that wouldn't flake off or change colors in the sunshine. After pressure washing, I washed down each fence just before cleaning with a wax/oil remover. When that was dry and the cloth didn't show any more chalk or flakes, I taped off the areas that needed it and spray painted it with Rustoleum Hammered White in a rattle can. I think it took about ten cans total. When the paint was dry for a week I put new decals over the the rough area left by the original decals. In my case, the original was essentially a stripe about a foot tall that completely circled the boat at about the middle of the fence. My stripe was custom designed by me on my home computer, and made by an online company for less than a hundred dollars. When the decal arrived, I discovered it had been made in India and shipped over in less than a week.

Two years later I'm still happy with the paint. The decals haven't fared as well. Some have started to peel up as the slick finish of the Rustoleum and the dimpled texture of the metal were too much for the adhesive in some places.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
No I haven't priced the wrap yet . I did find some role's of black that would work for me that wasn't too bad.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Plasti--dip wouldn't be a very good option as it's designed to be removable--it can be peeled off easily so it wouldn't last long. Kids are using it to change the color of their cars or their wheels for a few months then they peel it off and change the color to something else.

The rhino liner (or other truck bed coatings) are very long lasting and their thickness helps hide small imperfections. One of these DIY roll on bed liners would likely be one of the most durable options (they're made to be always out in the elements in a pickup truck bed) and they're available in different colors but you may or may not like their rough texture.

Last edited:

stephen25

Seaman
Do not do plasti dip! It looks good but consider the following:
A: It has a matte finish
B: It is not durable and can peel very easily even with the clear coat on it. I've tried it on wheels and it looks great but the first wash it all started peeling off.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
I used vinyl on mine about 3 years ago. Still looks like new. Good vinyl will last around 6-7 years as advertized. My fence is slightly corrugated and it was no problem. I cut it to size, and applied it with the wet method so I could slide it around a little before squeeging the liquid out and setting the vinyl. I posted pictures here someplace. Having it wrapped would have been a couple thousand. I did the whole thing for a couple hundred and that included vinyl for some graphics. The solid part needed no special tools like a cutter just good measuring a sharp razor knife and patients.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know some folks use the bed liner option for their boats but I have to tell you, bed liner is not a put on and it looks good forever product. If you don't recolor it every few years, it get pretty bad looking. It still has the texture to keep things from sliding, but it doesn't stay nice and black (in my case) looking long. It too fades and you need to recolor it after a few years. So it isn't apply and forget. JMHO!