Proper motor mounting height??

themacdadt

Cadet
I searched arround a bit and could not come to a definite answer, so I'll ask.

Should the bottom of my cavitation plate be in line with my motor pod bottom or in line with the bottom of the toon? My toons are about 6 inches lower than my motor pod.

It's currently inline with the motor pod and I get a whole lot of backwash coming up over the rear of the boat when underway. Also it's on its lowest mounting holes now.

So is there a rule of thumb on motor mounting height?

2008 Beachcomber 20 ft.
2006 Mercury optimax 75
East coast central fl. Cocoa beach.

Report this post Delete post

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Could you be a little more clear about backwash? Like does it come over the fence or just splashing on the deck ?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Also if you're not having cavitation problems you can raise till you do and then drop back down a. Notch. Every toon is different because everyone loads their boat different.

ahicks

Captain
That's what I was thinking too. If it's cavitating easily, especially when turned, it's too high. If not cavitating, you could try raising it to see what happens.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
As to the backwash id be checking to see if something like a steering cable or something else is hanging too low causing the backwash. Add pictures of the rear of your boat so we can see if something is out of place.

themacdadt

Cadet
There's no cables or anything hanging, it seems to me the motor pod is causing all the backwash. I'm getting water sprayed all over the motor even some on top of it, and it comes up and towards the front of the boat up on my deck. I'll try to take some pics.

themacdadt

Cadet
No Title

I don't know why the pics are upside down. But here's some pics

Attachments

• photo217920.jpg
    photo217920.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217921.jpg
    photo217921.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217922.jpg
    photo217922.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217923.jpg
    photo217923.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217924.jpg
    photo217924.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
If I'm seeing things correctly the ladder looks like ot hangs down almost as deep as the toon even when the bottom half is folded up that would cause your problem. To help us better understand how long have you had the toon ? Has it always have this problem? Was any changes made prior to the problem your having?

themacdadt

Cadet
If I'm seeing things correctly the ladder looks like ot hangs down almost as deep as the toon even when the bottom half is folded up that would cause your problem. To help us better understand how long have you had the toon ? Has it always have this problem? Was any changes made prior to the problem your having?

I just bought the boat and have only had it out ounce. The ladder when folded up is almost half way up the toon.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
It certainly looks as if you can raise the motor two maybe three holes and see if it changes anything for you .

ahicks

Captain
If the boat was originally rigged by a pro, he would have drilled the transom to allow the engine to be mounted in the middle hole. If that were the case, it would appear somebody has lowered it. The question would be why? Was there an issue with it mounted higher?

The second thing I see is that angle fastened to the bottom of the engine pod. No clue what the purpose of that might be, and it could be scrambling a lot of water going by it.....