Hard Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen25

Seaman
I am wanting to build a hard top for my pontoon and would like to see more in depth of how they slide up and down. Does anyone have one they could share some pictures of? Mainly how it is fastened to the boat and how it is fastens to the roof.
Thanks

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
stephen,
You're in luck. I just finished building an 8' x 16' hard top for my 24' pontoon boat. Here's a picture.
FQX7IVCO9-P7jlacdcgsucZrURWSiYL5rZNPqAyrimA=w1082-h865-no

It is all aluminum secured with stainless steel bolts and screws. The six verticals are 1" x 1.5" x 1/8" thick rectangular tube 7' long. They are secured to the fence at the top rail and the bottom of the fence. The frame for the top is 1.5" x 2" x 1/8" thick aluminum angle with gussets at each corner. The cross members are 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" thick aluminum angle. The top is two 4'2" x 16' sheets of a corrugated aluminum material called Fabrib.They overlap in the center and are secured with about 100 self tapping screws. The top is reinforced with support rods made of flat aluminum that tie the verticals to the fence rails at two corners.

My plan for lowering the top for towing is to remove the bolts from the bottom of all six verticals and allow the verticals to pivot forward and down. I deliberately left room at the top and bottom of each vertical to keep it from binding while lowering. I only erected this a few days ago and I have not lowered it yet, so there is more to be learned. I suspect I will need some vertical supports on the deck of the boat to hold the roof at the right height in its lowered position. I'll likely also need some straps to keep it from moving about while being towed.

The bolts at the top and middle of each vertical are secured with Nyloc nuts so they can be left just loose enough to allow the top to fold down. The bolts that secure the bottoms of the verticals screw into rivet nuts that were installed into the fence rail. That makes it easy to put the bolts in and out without having to move the furniture to get to the backside of the rail.

The bad news is that I have not yet tried this top out on the water. It seems sturdier than the canvas top it replaced, but I won't know for sure that it is engineered correctly until it passes its sea trials. If you don't start your project for a few more months, I should be able to report back on how it worked.

stephen25

Seaman
Tommy thanks!! That is exactly what I'm planning to build. I'm wanting to do a canvas/ hard top combo where I can make drop down covers with zippers for overnight trips. But still have fun in the sun any given day. Let me now your struggles in lowering it and how your sea trials pan out.
Thanks,
-Stephen

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Was looking into doing the same thing with a fabricated hard top and with a fabric enclosure from the top to the side rail. Do you all have any pictures so I can see how you fabricated yours. I thought about making it permanent but It would be 11' tall on the road. I figure I would use corrugated roofing panels on top and just strap the crap out of it when on the road. I don't have a welder so I'm really struggling on how to support the whole thing, I really don't want a lot of bolts, I figure the bolts would eventually round out the holes of the aluminum, I might have to find a welder in the Georgia area. I have a old 1" square aluminum top I'm trying to salvage but I might be better off with all new.

Attachments

• photo237081.jpg
    photo237081.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You really should start a new thread if you are looking for guidance, catfish. In the almost year since this one was last active, we've gained members and a wider audience may be ignoring this because it's an old thread.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Howard,
I don't know where the old photos went. Here is one with the top up and another with it lowered for towing.
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

I used it a lot last summer with no problems, and I towed it about 500 miles round trip without incident to the top. It may not show well in the second photo, but there are vertical rods to support the top when it is in the lowered position. Had I engineered it differently, I could have gotten it to go even lower.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I asked nicely and now I'm closing this hijacked thread, The OP doesn't visit anymore and it's his thread, not catfish's!

Status
Not open for further replies.