removing a pontoon off the trailer on land

stephen25

Seaman
Anyone have a post on how to take your boat off the trailer at the house? I really need to do some work on my bunks.
Thanks

Jeep Man

Commander
I had a thread back in about 4 or 5 years ago but I'm having locating it on the newly formatted forum. But, I will give you the high points of that thread.

- Shift the pontoon back on the trailer with about a foot hanging over the back. I did this by chaining the rear to a tree and pulling forward slowly.
- Place wooden blocks under the rear of the pontoons
- Disconnect the trailer from your vehicle. WARNING...WARNING. You will likely have negative tongue weight at this point so add weight the front of the trailer temporarily to prevent it popping up and knocking you head off.
- Pull the vehicle away and lower the tongue all the way to the ground.
- Add more blocks to the rear to fill in the gap created.
- Raise the tongue all the way up.
- Place a 4x4, 6x6, or a strong pipe at least 12 feet in length across under the forward deck and block up each end securely.
- Lower the tongue and pull the trailer out.
- Add blocks under the pontoons to ensure it is secure on the ground.

stephen25

Seaman
Thanks Ray, only thing is I can't add anything across the front because I have guide poles welded to the trailer? Anyone else ever had this problem

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Aren't the guide poles removable? I built guide poles for mine but found they were still a pain in a crosswind. Finally figured out to have wife or fishing buddy back the tlr in just far enough so the guides inboard of the bunks were still half out of the water. Get the toons started over them even in a cross wind, then use the motor to straighten it w/ the tlr and have the P/U driver back up until the deck touches the winch stop. Makes life a lot simpler!!

Mike

Jeep Man

Commander
Thanks Ray, only thing is I can't add anything across the front because I have guide poles welded to the trailer? Anyone else ever had this problem

Most guide poles are removable. If your are not, it would be easy to make them so by cutting them short and add or modify with a sleeve.

stephen25

Seaman
Unfortunately they are not removable, I made them and welded them on the trailer..... Sorry I'm a set sheet metal/ construction worker by nature so it seemed silly to spend them money on something I could make.
I will get pictures in the morning.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I replaced all the wood a couple of years ago .I let the Marina talk the boat off of the trailer with there over head boat remover. They charged me $200 and they did everything but replace the boards .It was off season and in the middle of the week .It took me three days to do everything I needed to do then they put the boat back on the trailer and I was ready to go boating.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With picture to show everybody what you're working on, we can come up with different options as well...