Skin your pontoon boat?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This topic comes up from time to time. I skinned the underside of my boat last spring because it seemed intuitively the right thing to do. I had visions of water pushed up by the logs striking the frame crossmembers and slowing the boat with each small push. But I didn't know for sure what difference it would make. And as I changed engines at the same time I skinned the boat, I had no way to quantify any change the skin might have produced. .... I still don't know for sure, but I found a video that verifies my intuition. This video shows the underside of a pontoon boat at various speeds. From about 15 MPH and above, its clear that wake from the logs is hitting the crossmembers. Of course water would also hit the skin, but I can't help but believe the drag from water hitting the skin is less than the drag from water hitting the crossmembers. Here's a link to the video. You may have to cut and paste to make it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK67dnWeXUk

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If I recall correctly they commented that they didn't feel there was any difference in speed but handling and comfort and ride were better.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We were on Churchill Lake in northern Saskatchewan with 3 foot waves . The front zip-in part of the full camper top was pushed in by water and we got wet back at the steering podium. The wave/log wake impacts on the underside cross members was really noticeable on my unskinned pontoon. For me speed is secondary to a more settled ride in rough water,

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did about 2/3rds of mine because I got a free piece of metal and it makes a difference. I started at the back of the transom and it went almost all the to the front, so where the water hits is now covered. With the top down and no chop I got about 3 mph faster, but the majority of the time under what I'd call normal conditions I get maybe 1mph. The biggest difference like stated comes in the comfort category.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Very cool video. I guess I never realized the amount of turbulence under the boat that the logs create.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bottom line, anything you can do to reduce drag will make for a better ride with more speed. That is exactly what happens with a properly installed jack plate on boats. You raise the engine and therefore reduce drag... I can see how skinning will reduce the drag and reduce such water issues forced on the cross members as well.