8 foot versus 8.5 foot wide pontoon boats

tbtaylor

Recruit
Am trying to make the decision between a new 20' pontoon boat that features an 8 foot wide deck with 23" tubes and one that is 8.5. foot wide with 25" tubes. I've been around boats enough to know that bigger is usually better, but has anyone decided on the smaller width? And how has it worked out?

I sat on the two size boats at a boat show recently and honestly felt comfortable in the narrower boat, and I also figure it will be a tad easier to dock in the tight slip I have (in addition to saving several grand), but I'd be curious to hear what others have decided/experienced. Any 8' wide fans out there?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is hardly a reason to pick a new boat .... BUT when it comes time to replace decks, carpet, etc., it will be much easier to refurbish an 8' wide boat than an 8.5' wide boat. I doubt anyone sells a 4'x8.5' sheet of marine plywood.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It will be very hard to find 8.5 sheets of plywood to replace flooring some where down the road

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
my pontoon is a 20' x 8' wide with 23" toons and I am quite satisfied and it fits in the slip nicely.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
For the difference in price I would use that savings for additional length or upgrades. All of my pontoons have been 8 feet wide and I had no complaints. You will not travel fast enough where those extra six inches and bigger tubes would be a significant safety factor.

Jeep Man

Commander
I'll go at this from a different angle. The width isn't a factor if the narrower one is the one you prefer. The pontoon diameter is a different issue. The larger pontoon will give you more buoyancy, allowing more weight and a larger motor. If you look after your craft, replacement of deck plywood should be decades away.

ahicks

Captain
Our newest is an 8.5' boat. I like it and though I don't find any downside with it, I'm not sure how much extra I'd be willing to pay for it if buying new?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its shocking how much difference six inches can make.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
In looking up a bunch of tests of pontoons It seems that a longer toon is faster than a shorter one of the same hp.
Unfortunately I don't know the tube size but I do believe they were 2 tube boats.
Example: 18 ft 60 hp. 1300 lbs 11" prop 17.6 mph. 20' 1280,11" 21.4 mph. 19' 1600,11" 21.3.
I don't know log size I did pick lighter weights thinking not tri toons

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Arguing about toon speed is sort of like being the tallest midget in the room.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you boat it rough waters I would go with the bigger pontoons and the wider deck. As far as docking it usually isn't a problem, but there are a couple of slips that I buy gas from that are to narrow for a 8 1/2 foot wide pontoon so I have to wait for an end to open up. I have a converted tritoon that has 23 inch outer toons and a 25 inch center. I wish I had 25 inch toons all the way around. My prior pontoon had 25 inch toons and rode better than most other pontoons my friends had.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about trailers, can you fit a 8.5' wide on a 8' standard bunk trailer?

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Overton's '14 catalog has 8' plywood decking for $80 and 8'6" for $100 so decades from now the wider boat probably won't cost that much more to redeck.