I bought my first Pontoon Boat project.

Im a new guy from Texas, and bought my first Pontoon Project. Its a 85 suntracker 24' party barge with a running 87 evinrude 110. I paid next to nothing for it with a clean title for a boat and a clean title for the motor.

I am having a hard time verifying the HIN because for the life of me i cannot find it on this vessel. I have looked high and low for it, there is allot of aluminum that was added on the rear of the boat so before i go ripping it all off, i was wondering if anyone knew where to look on this particular vessel? Or maybe someone knows where the hidden one is, i called tracker and they were no help.

Here is a pic of it hooked up to my truck, i plan on rebuilding it the way i want over the next several months.

alldodge

Staff member
Im a new guy from Texas, and bought my first Pontoon Project. Its a 85 suntracker 24' party barge with a running 87 evinrude 110. I paid next to nothing for it with a clean title for a boat and a clean title for the motor.

I am having a hard time verifying the HIN because for the life of me i cannot find it on this vessel. I have looked high and low for it, there is allot of aluminum that was added on the rear of the boat so before i go ripping it all off, i was wondering if anyone knew where to look on this particular vessel? Or maybe someone knows where the hidden one is, i called tracker and they were no help.

Here is a pic of it hooked up to my truck, i plan on rebuilding it the way i want over the next several months.

:welcome: to iboats

Nice looking toon. HIN are located on the starboard side AFT. Here is a link which shows the regs and where to look for it.
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Here is a quote from the second paragraph
On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On my 2006 Tracker pontoon, its on the vertical piece on top of the tube at the furthest aft piece on the starboard side.

Last edited:
On my 2006 Tracker pontoon, its on the vertical piece on top of the tube at the furthest aft piece on the starboard side.

Thanks for the suggestions, i know its supposed to be on starboard aft.....but was looking for a more detailed location, which yiu gave and sounds like the perfect starting point since The PO added some aluminum decking so i now need to remove it and see if the tag is there. There are no red flags on it yet, the boat and motor is registered to the same person....and all the details on the title are correct, and neither are reported stolen or lost. i just want to verify for my own satisfaction before i go and spend a couple grand on rebuilding it......ill get some more pictures assuming i make it home before dark tonight.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
People have been known to remove HIN tags for various reasons. While looking at the rear of the starboard pontoon, look for signs that an aluminum plate for the HIN was once welded to it. If the weld marks are there but the plate is missing, that may be why you can't find it. .... On my boat there was a second HIN plate welded to the bottom of the boat near the engine support. I don't recall the exact location. .... I assume you have the HIN on the registration papers. Is there some reason you need to find it on the boat?

I haven't seen any signs of a welded plate being removed, or even a riveted one.....yes i have the number one all the paperwork, i just want to cover myself and be sure ut is the correct boat before i go spend money on making it nice and someone come along and say its their boat. Im thinking its just covered up with added on paneling, and want to verify to protect myself.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Once you get the boat registered in your name, if you can't find the HIN, its doubtful anyone else can either. So it would seem unlikely that anyone would challenge your ownership.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It is often on the second cross member from the front to. You have to be under and looking toward the front to find it.

I found it about 30 min ago....i broke out the master key....aka the oxy acetylene torch and cut off the 20yr old bolts holding the added aluminum plates on the rear of the boat. It is on the starboard side of the motor bracket.

Im working on posting somemore pics as i type.

Here are a few more pictures of the beast.....its rough, but does run and the Cotrols work with the exception of the steering is stuck all in all it is perfect for what i wanted...i already ordered 4 gallons of JJV'S best cleaner. Someone along the line cut a hole in the top of each pontoon and welded a tube that comes just below the deck with a trap door and looks like filled the pontoons with foam......now i have a place for a bilge pump in each pontoon if the should leak for some reason.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glad you found it. .... I did a major refurbish of an old pontoon boat two years ago, and I've been very happy with the result. I've used it often over the last two summers. .... The cool thing about these old boats is that, once you get them down to the floors, its like an empty 8' x 24' dance floor that you can rebuild anyway you like.You can even move the console if you want. ... Good luck with the project to you and your helper.

Thats the best thing i think about these older boats as well.....your imagination is your limitation. I will be stripping it down to just the aluminum skeleton...spraying everything with a few coats of alumium cleaner. Redecking the entire thing with new wood. Replacing the wood in the transom as well. Then stripping and painting the 80s style paint and decals on it. I will probably remove the kenner center console because it is huge and build one myself. I will redo the awning myself as well, go through the motor and do a good tune up as well as replace the waterpump and add a stainless prop. Then i just need to find a cheap place to buy a complete set of decent seats, add some lights for night fishing and a bbq pit.

I havent made up my mind on the trailer yet, i can sandblast it and fix a few welds or just buy another one thats not homemade. ....i did pull real nice on the way home and has new tires.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Disregard the Google link. I can't figure out how to remove it.

What I wanted to say is, you may find this build thread interesting. The pictures have been delinked, but their addresses are still valid if you want to see them. This is the website I was trying to link when I lost control of this post.
.http://www.pdbmagazine.com/pontoonforum/archive/index.php/t-266.html

Last edited:

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Joe,
Where in Texas are? Houston area? If so, there is an old boy in Baytown who will sandblast your trailer and paint it any color black you want for around $300.00.

I rebuilt my '84 JC Tritoon. Mercruiser I/O, 5 years ago if you have questions just ask.

Still havent gotten to work on it yet...... it wouldnt fit through my gate into the back yard, so i first have to build a new fence.

Yes i live in houston, do you know the guys name? I have a pot blaster but for 300 id rather pay someone else.

Im wanting to extend the fence all the way to the front but am unsure where to find various pieces of fence.

The build thread you posted seems cool except ill have to look at all the pics on my computer.....its to much work on my phone lol.

Its been a really busy weekend, we had a new baby girl, i finished the new gate and fence, finally got the boat in the back yard where i can work on it, and tried out a little of the jjvs best cleaner.

here is what i started with and no prior cleaning, probably hadnt been cleaned in years.

i sprayed the first coat with just a regular spray bottle, let it sit for 10 min no scrubbing and washed it with a water hose. Your supposed to use a pressure washer, but i didnt feel like dragging it out just to test out a small area.

tried a second coat again with no scrubbing or pressure washer.....all i can say is i am very impressed with the results.

Once i get the deck off ill clean the entire thing with scotch bright and simple green pressure wash that off....then apply several coats of the jjvs best, i dont think you will be able to recognize the boat. I also ordered a custom heavy duty motor pod with built in 30 gallon fuel tank, so i can move my railing all the way back and gain an extra 2' of deck.