Deck Drains

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

Have a 1985 Gregor Pontoon boat. about 3 years ago we redid the decking with new and refurbished a bunch of stuff while we were at it. Last year we had problems a couple of times with water accumulating in the back of the deck. One time in particular we had probably six inches or plus of water back there, made for a bit of a scary ride until it drained.

So I'm thinking about adding a couple of drain in the back of the deck. Maybe 3 or 4 3/4" holes or so. We looked into fence spacers but decided against them due to how our hard top is mounted, and the fact that we already put in all new hardware and don't want to go buy longer ones.

Does anybody have any ideas for what to use as a drain? I'm assuming I'd have issues with water coming up while underway with just a sealed up hole.

ahicks

Captain
My vote would be that some times it's better to take the time to do it right. Install the shims/spacers for a much cleaner, PROVEN, design.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The big issue with spacers is I believe it would weaken the top. We have an 8x10 hardtop on our toon that is completely supported by the railings. Its not too heavy but with the wind it probably has a decent amount of pressure on it. My thought is having the entire bottom rail resting on the deck gives it more support than supported by 5 or 6 spacers. Maybe I'm wrong.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had 1983 SanPan pontoon and it had a hardtop, the rails were up off the deck. If it was me I would raise the rails. they will hold the weight of the hardtop. my hardtop was 8'x10' also. I would think if you drilled holes in the deck, water would come up through as you were moving. JMO

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Fence spaces like ever thing has good and bad points, it dose allow water to drain off the deck, how ever it also allows water to run in and under the fence with a cover on especially if the boat isnt sitting level on the slip or yard and they never are. So i added two 3/4 drains on mine, they work fine when needed. I got them as a drain for a PWC compartment drain and if needed you unscrew them. attwood 17211-3

image_214618.jpg image_173010.jpg

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
I had one with the spacers and a hard top too. I think you're going to find there's probably 5 or 6 on each side. Ours was set up with a bolt going through the rail and floor at every cross member. If there are diagonal braces installed to add rigidity (ours had 2 on each side) you'll need to install spacers under those as well.