I need good Anchor for pontoon boat

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
Box anchor looks interesting...

I use a "River Anchor". Much like a mushroom but has gaps in the outer edge of the mushroom. We boat on the Tennessee River and it has mostly sandy/muddy bottoms. I have never had a problem with this and some nylon rope.
Well except for the one time I went to pull the anchor and the rope came off the anchor!!! I had it attached with a spring type hook and some how the hook came open and I could not find the anchor that day. Ordered a new one that came in before the next weekend. A week or so later the river was down enough I found the original. Now I have a spare!

are you still using the spring hook? or did you switch to an anchors knot

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW if I were to buy a "Box Anchor" then my entire boating rid would double in value... I'd have to buy extra insurance just for the anchor. :facepalm:

rbi

Recruit
I paid $120.00 for the small Box Anchor and not $400.00 some posted, and the small is all you need. Plus you do not need a chain for that anchor which is a pain to store on the boat, just your anchor line will do. I also noticed that you can keep the the line pretty short and it still stays set. Big advantage in small spaces with other boats around.

Last edited:

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I paid $120.00 for the small Box Anchor and not $400.00 some posted, and the small is all you need. Plus you do not need a chain for that anchor which is a pain to store on the boat, just your anchor line will do. I also noticed that you can keep the the line pretty short and it still stays set. Big advantage in small spaces with other boats around.
what size pontoon are you anchoring

rbi

Recruit
what size pontoon are you anchoring

I have a 22' Lowe. Couple weeks ago at the Parade of Lights here I had my boat and a friends 27' toon all together on the box anchor and it held both of us. His anchor woudn't set.