I need good Anchor for pontoon boat

lenarw79

Seaman Apprentice
I need good Anchor for pontoon boat, my pontoon boat is 18'. I don't have any anchor

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
As suggested the anchor depends on the bottom.
I like the Danforth style anchor.It is light yet powerful.
Anchor line needs to be about 7 times the depth.
A length of chain at the anchor will reduce wear and chafing and increase the anchors effectiveness.

Hammer Dog

Cadet
7 times the depth?

Where we anchor out while swimming and relaxing is from 50 to 85' deep. I do not think my electric winch has enough capacity for that much rope.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
7 times is suggested to cover severe conditions. If your anchoring in a relatively quiet conditions you could get away with less.
You need 1/8" of line for each 9 ft of boat.Nylon is suggested with its springy traits cushioning things in heavy conditions.

Last edited:

rbi

Recruit
Check out the box anchor, no chain needed and they have good reviews for pontoons. I just used it and it held my boat and another 28' pontoon from a friend. I have the small size.
Good luck& Happy New Year!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 20' pontoon,I use two 20 lb. mushroom anchors and never had a problem. I also have a Danforth but they seem to work better in sandy bottoms. the lake I have the pontoon is rocky

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
+1 for Box Anchor. They are pricy but its the best anchor style i have owned and i have gone through allot

The Rooster

Ensign
+2 ^^^ for the Box anchor. Best anchor by far that we've used for our 3 pontoon boats over the last 10 years. May be a bit of over kill for an 18' barge. We've got the 25# version, but they make smaller ones. Never failed us so far !!! Good luck .

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
+2 ^^^ for the Box anchor. Best anchor by far that we've used for our 3 pontoon boats over the last 10 years. May be a bit of over kill for an 18' barge. We've got the 25# version, but they make smaller ones. Never failed us so far !!! Good luck .
how does the box anchor work on rocky bottoms

The Rooster

Ensign
Wish I could say. Not a rock or pebble to be found in South Louisiana. Mud, sand, & clay !!! ;)

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I watched the youtube video and the box anchor does look cool. I did a random search and found a sit e that has them. $400?????!!!! Really???/ for an anchor???? I can't get with that.. Wow...For $400 it had better winterize my motor at the end of the season AND keep my beer cold!!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked here on iboats and they started at $124.00 and up to $250.00 that's a lot better than $400.00

Last edited:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Box anchor looks interesting...

I use a "River Anchor". Much like a mushroom but has gaps in the outer edge of the mushroom. We boat on the Tennessee River and it has mostly sandy/muddy bottoms. I have never had a problem with this and some nylon rope.
Well except for the one time I went to pull the anchor and the rope came off the anchor!!! I had it attached with a spring type hook and some how the hook came open and I could not find the anchor that day. Ordered a new one that came in before the next weekend. A week or so later the river was down enough I found the original. Now I have a spare!