cloth or metal

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
thinking of replacing cloth cover with metal on 85 , 24 ft party barge need advice. thanks for your help:joyous:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Most of the new pontoon boats use cloth, it is a preference. Cloth is easier more cost effective and versatile. I recomed heavier fabric like top gun or top noch for durability.

ahicks

Captain
On a boat that's not trailered (other than spring/fall), my preference would be for metal. I don't mind the way they look, there's no maintenance, and they'll last forever. If you're trailering much, I don't think metal would be a very good option at all.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
on my old pontoon I had a metal top, and when it was a windy day the metal top was like having a sail mast, the wind took you where you didn't want to go. now my new pontoon has a cloth top, I like it a lot better then the metal. if it is windy you can put the top down and it will not be quite so bad, but with the metal it has to be up at all times. JMO since I had both of them....
Jack

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
on my old pontoon I had a metal top, and when it was a windy day the metal top was like having a sail mast, the wind took you where you didn't want to go. now my new pontoon has a cloth top, I like it a lot better then the metal. if it is windy you can put the top down and it will not be quite so bad, but with the metal it has to be up at all times. JMO since I had both of them....
Jack

I agree with the above. I had one hard top and it was like a sail especially when docking. Great for setting out a rain storm however, not a thunder storm!