Transducer installation for Pontoon

Blahhhster

Cadet
Well, after purchasing my Lawrence Elite 3x fish finder on Black Friday I am ready for the install. I have spent countless hours researching the best installation. There are several different opinions as you can imagine. Therefore, I have decided to reach out to my fellow pontoon comrades for some feedback!

Bottom line .. should I keep the transducer higher above the pontoon, or lower below the pontoon? Some say you will not get good reading is you mount it lower. Is there a better option?? I have the bracket on the port side rear of the pontoon.

I have attached some photos for those who are visual like me. https://www.flickr.com/photos/42606149@N08/sets/72157649656720995/

Thanks in advance!

Jeep Man

Commander
It needs to be mounted low. Mounting it high will have the bottom of the transducer in "dirty" water, that is water with a lot of air in it, resulting ni poor readings while on the move. Pic #2 is correct. Even then, readings aren't great when on the move. With pontoon boats, a lot of turbulence is present at the rear. Nature of the beast unfortunately.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I always mount mine with the bottom of the transducer level with the lowest point of the toon.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
as everyone answered pic #2 is the right way to install it,,,

Blahhhster

Cadet
So far the consensus is Photo #2 (the lowest possible for "clean" water). I guess Im just worried about it getting knocked off!

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I have hung lots of ducers over the yrs. Only the bottom of the ducer needs to be in clean water,so I've always mounted mine about 1/4" below the hull. But, I also mount mine off center,so it's not the first thing that hits bottom. Hard to do on a round tube,but this works on mine just fine. If your straked on both sides it won't work this way. Need to keep them away from strakes or chines that'll trap air and direct it back.

Not the best angle in the pic,but all I have. It sticks out only about 1/3 of the ducer beyond the side of the tube,and most of the ducer's bottom is below. Leave room for adjustment left/right. This reads the depth up to 20 mph on mine,but I loose the screen picture at around 15 mph. I can live with that,and I fish hard.

Attachments

• photo206367.jpg
    photo206367.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo206368.jpg
    photo206368.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6

Blahhhster

Cadet
BrianMc . . . your photos were very helpful! I actually just had to order an extension cable for the transducer because it was not long enough. Looks like you have two transducers. So, with my set up from my photos do you agree with my second photo?

Also, I noticed you have a pump for what looks like your livewell. I need to work on that too. Does the pump just bring fresh water into the well, or does it cycle the water continuously in and out?

Thanks again. Everyone has been very helpful.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'm saying more in-between your two pics. Just sight down the bottom of the tube,and make sure the bottom of your ducer is around 1/4" below that. Center your mounting bracket so you can adjust it up or down from there. Don't over tighten bolt that holds your transducer to the bracket,so it will trip right if you hit bottom.

The pump is just a bilge pump for fresh water to the livewell. You need an overflow tube if you want to keep fresh water flowing into it. Or, use the pump to fill it,and use an aerator to oxygenate. This is what I mean by an overflow tube.

Attachments

• photo213032.jpg
    photo213032.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2

Blahhhster

Cadet
Here is an update. Everything went together pretty well during the cable installation. I lost the two plastic ratchets and had to call Lawrence for replacement. The transducer cable was only 6 inches short, and I had to order a 15' extension cable *!&%!!! Anyway, here are some updated photos #3,4,5.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42606149@N08/sets/72157649656720995/

I will add pics of the final instal of the Elite 3x this weekend!

Jeep Man

Commander
Looks good Blahhhster. Mine was "short" as well. Other than clearance for the ladder, I couldn't understand why the mfg. only had a bracket on the port side. While I had the toon at the shop for other work, I had the bracket moved to the starboard side. Still plenty of ladder clearance and now I have extra length.