Intalling 150 on 90hp rated boat

jdogg#1

Cadet
Ok so i recently got a 22 sweetwater with a 50hp. This is way underpowerd for me. Not that i wanna go fast just faster at take off. I would like to wakeboard behind the boat. The boat has a 90 hp rated sticker. And i have a 2011 mercury 150. What would be the issuse with this. I would think it cant weigh much more than a 90. And i will never fully load my boat with max people. If i was smary about it and never wot are such would it be ok. Or are there legal aspects to think of im in texas. Thinks for the input

Tnstratofam

Commander
I don't know about laws in your state, but I'm pretty sure you would be asking for a ticket if you put to large an engine on your boat. Also not only is weight part of the reason for the max rating, but the added stress on the transom could shorten your boats life considerably. I'm not sure it's worth any more speed to go up 60 hp. I know people do it, but I wouldn't want to risk a ticket or damaging my boat. Just my .02 cents. I'm sure more qualified people will be along to give a better answer.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Plus one on the above, plus you would at the very least beef up the transom and deck support cross members, and when towing the transom and motor will need a good bit of extra support or the motor will be in the road dragging behind the boat. or you can do the right thing and add a center toon designed for the HP and that by its self will add speed.

The Rooster

Ensign
+1 ^^^. Yes, possible legal issues if you're ever involved in an "incident", and insurance could be an issue.

The Rooster

Ensign
+1 ^^^. Yes, possible legal issues if you're ever involved in an "incident". Insurance could be an issue.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Trust me, I have a 90 HP on a 24' rated for it and it accelerates fast enough for a 'toon. If you feel you must use the 150 get something rated for it. All the above opinions are, IMO, very true.
Mike

jdogg#1

Cadet
I dont have a 90 on there now i have the 50 on there. Wish i had the 90, the only reason i want to use a 150 is becouse i have it already.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Add a center toon with transom rated for the motor you will not regret it I haven't!!!!!!

jdogg#1

Cadet
My boat has the two big pontoons and the one about 5ft long in the middle on the back. Dont know if thats common or not or if that helps me out any.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It is common but its not a pontoon and it adds no floatation , thats the motor pod and transom and what will have to be very well renforced if you go over the HP and what can be ripped off when you go over specs

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
A Merc 50 2 stroke is 200 lbs a 90 isn 300,a 150 is 416.
Trade the 150 in on a Etec 90 pontoon series 320 lbs 3 year non declining warrantee.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
70% over power is an indication that serious structural mods are required. Since you mistook the engine pod for a third tube, it would seem this swap is beyond your capability and therefore an unwise idea.

ahicks

Captain
Once past the legal part of this, I agree. There WILL be a need for structural changes! May not be anything insurmountable, and you may be able to get it all worked out where that 150 will work out economically, but it's not going to be a bolt it on and go kind of thing.....

I'd consider a beefier engine pod and the 3 or 4 cross members it bolts to replaced using heavier materials at minimum....

Considering mods above at minimum, adding a center 'toon may not be a bad idea either.

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Why don't you take the 150HP and trade it in for a 90HP ?.... After you said you wished you had a 90HP.

That would solve a lot of problems!... If you can't trade with a dealer, then put an ad on Craigslist to try and sell the 150HP.

Also put an ad on Craigslist that you want to trade a 150HP for 90HP.... I'd say if you done that, your Email would be flooded with replies! :D

Plus one. Or, trade the 150 AND 50 in on a 90. Either approach would be easier, cheaper and safer than trying to hang a 150 off the back. If you go that route check with independent outboard mechanics (repair shops not attached to a dealer) in addition to dealers. They might be more amenable to something like that.