Outside Winter Storage

coresuper

Seaman
My first winter storing my new toon. I am thinking that I will use the mooring cover and then use a decent tarp over that. Does that make sense? What do you do?

alldodge

Staff member
My first winter storing my new toon. I am thinking that I will use the mooring cover and then use a decent tarp over that. Does that make sense? What do you do?

Sounds fine, just need to keep the tarp high enough to keep the snow falling off

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds good to me too. Just fabricate some supports under the mooring cover so there are no low spots. If water puddles before the snow flies, snow will possibly collapse the cover.

ahicks

Captain
Considering the potential for mold or mildew to form between the cover and the tarp, I would suggest one or the other. If your area sees snow, assume the worst and make sure whatever you use is well supported. The "ridge pole" plan, running from front to rear, with supports every few feet, will hold a lot of snow, while minimizing potential for a damaged cover/tarp. Last, make sure air can circulate under the cover. If you get a late start on your season, and your cover was a little to weather proof, you can have a nice black mess to clean up when you pull the cover.....

ahicks

Captain
No Title

That's funny! This is how I handled ours (from Carolina Carports):

Attachments

• photo210729.jpg
    photo210729.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1

rogerwa

Commander
Depends on where you are located. My toon sits on blocks in NW Wisconsin where we usually ge a bunch of snow. I use a simple frame like MH Hawkers but switched from PVC to 2x4's. I used 8' studs and cut 1' off and screw it to the bottom as a foot. I then run a beam down the length of the toon 7' off the deck. I use rope to keep it solid and centered and then drape a 20x40' tarp over the frame.

it is important to keep the tarp taut so that snow does not collect. To do this I use tarp clamps tied to hooks that hook tightly onto the deck trim. this keeps the tarp tight enough yet without ripping it.

Using the mooring cover does not provide enough pitch for the snow to slide off, at least in NW Wisconsin. In previous years i had used 3" pvc as a frame but went back to 2x4 studs as last year we had so much snow that the pvc folded like a lawn chair. I also use the brown side of the cover so that any sun that hits it will help to melt any leftover snow off of it.

My cover allows for a lot of air to move through it so i never have any mold problems.

rogerwa

Commander
No Title

Here are pics of my setup..

Attachments

• photo211100.jpg
    photo211100.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo211101.jpg
    photo211101.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I think the key is to tent the cover high enough so that everything slides off of it and to keep the cover tight so that it doesn't sag. My boat gets wet in the summer every time it rains so the only thing important to me is keeping the furniture dry. This year I'm beefing up my supports and tenting a little higher so that mine looks about like MH hawkers picture.

Attachments

• photo211548.jpg
    photo211548.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I use that system for 3 years,it worked well here and last year we did get a lot of snow it it just slid off, this year i have a carport.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think the key is to tent the cover high enough so that everything slides off of it and to keep the cover tight so that it doesn't sag. My boat gets wet in the summer every time it rains so the only thing important to me is keeping the furniture dry. This year I'm beefing up my supports and tenting a little higher so that mine looks about like MH hawkers picture.

100% agree. I made my frame with 1" OD PVC thick wall tubing and bought metal canopy frame corners (examples: at link). I didn't engineer nearly enough pitch. So when we get a heavy snow I go check and knock the snow off. Should have used the high pitch connectors. Only use the canopy connectors for the top center peak railing. For the sides, I just used the standard pvc T-connectors.

I put up the PVC frame (takes only a few minutes since I have all the pieces marked), then put a large heavy duty tarp over and tie it down very tight to create a 'roof'. Then I throw a storage cover ($150) over the whole thing then strap that down tight. The tightness makes a surprisingly sturdy 'roof' and it holds snow well. Neither the tarps or the storage cover are really waterproof, but the combo works. BUT would be even better if I used a higher pitch so most of the snow would just fall off.

Have used the setup for two winters and has worked perfectly. Not a drop of water gets inside.

We had an early snow this year when I still had my playpen cover on (Aqualon fabric). It held, but probably stretched a bit, and could have ripped where the poles hold it up if we got more snow. Don't risk your expensive mooring cover. Plus you want protection from side water infiltration.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
on my old pontoon, I built a frame like MH Hawker used on his with 1 1/2 PVC. this year with my new pontoon I leave it at the marina outside storage, and they shrink wrapped it.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bit the bullet and bought the Navigloo system just over a year ago. This is my second season using it and it's worked great. I figure after this season it's money in the bank.

CoveredBoat2.jpg CoveredBoat1.jpg

Attachments

• CoveredBoat2.jpg
    CoveredBoat2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bit the bullet and bought the Navigloo system just over a year ago. This is my second season using it and it's worked great. I figure after this season it's money in the bank.

what is under the tarp, holding it up

MCSD12

Recruit
on my old pontoon, I built a frame like MH Hawker used on his with 1 1/2 PVC. this year with my new pontoon I leave it at the marina outside storage, and they shrink wrapped it.

Wont the shrink wrap trap in the moisture and cause mold?