Looking to buy used Pontoon

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to buy a used pontoon for cruising on the St Lawrence River thinking about maybe a 20' would do on this river no toys would be involved just cruising, any suggestions on make and model of a good used boat I should look for, who makes a dependable used pontoon

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Will, We have 3 different toons and I don't know if there is really a bad toon out there. If the owner kept it up, they are pretty bullet proof. Good luck.

ahicks

Captain
I think it's more about the engine than the boat any more. I'd be looking a boat that I liked (materials, top, floor plan, doors/location, etc), powered by a fuel injected 4 stroke, no smaller than 40-50hp.

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice
Been looking at different sites and their recommendations for tube size and such, kind of know what I am looking for was hoping for recommendations on make but was thinking the same way about the motors like you ahicks

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bigger is better on log diameter. I have a 40 year old 24 foot Kayot with small toons...Larger pleasure boats on the Illinois river have put water over my bow a few times. I spend a lot of time turning to quarter into wakes of other boats and multiple boats in the channel can make wave combinations that are impossible to quarter. Interestingly enough, large barge tows have very small wakes but churn up a lot of turbulence behind for hundreds of yards.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bigger is better on log diameter. I have a 40 year old 24 foot Kayot with small toons...Larger pleasure boats on the Illinois river have put water over my bow a few times. I spend a lot of time turning to quarter into wakes of other boats and multiple boats in the channel can make wave combinations that are impossible to quarter. Interestingly enough, large barge tows have very small wakes but churn up a lot of turbulence behind for hundreds of yards.