What to look for

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey all I'm looking to purchase a pontoon boat this winter, " maybe get it cheaper " anyway, new to pontoons, I'm wondering if there is anything to look for, or out.... Rather have a larger engine on it, it will be used for family fun, swimming, camping, towing water toys, fishing, and such, It will be towed about 30 miles to the lake, a weekend thing only, may sleep on boat too, Thanks

rogerwa

Commander
Really kind of a wide open question without some guidance on price and other factors. But assuming we are looking at decent used units, I would look for the biggest diameter tubes you can get. Crawl underneath and check out the condition of the plywood. Check condition of tubes looking for dents, previously welded repairs, and if you can rock them to see if there is water inside.

Depending on the price range you are looking at condition of the furniture is varied.. Low dollar used units will have furniture in bad shape - it is replaceable, along with carpet and most everything else on the deck. You just need to factor that into the price..

The engine is a significant portion of the value of the toon. Too many factors to cover here without narrowing it down.

Give us some more info and we can comment more specifcially.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since you mention "towing water toys", you want the biggest engine you can find. Pontoons are not "V" hulls and require lots of power for reasonable speed without towing. Add that to the mix and you can see the need. Look at the maximum HP tag on the boat and ensure the engine is at or very near the maximum rating.

ahicks

Captain
Yup, until you mentioned "towing water toys" 40-50hp would have done fine. It takes Big horsepower to move these things through the water at a speed where those water toys don't quickly become boring. Some other ideas....

I would be really cautious of buying a used motor without a test drive - unless I was getting it so cheap I'd be willing to accept that gamble?

Regarding trailering, a smaller boat (18-20') will be easier to handle while loading and unloading, but smaller is counter productive when you mention "sleeping" on it. There, I'd want at least a 24'. Keep in mind these things pull like a parachute too. And I wouldn't buy a trailer that wasn't tandem axle either.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Lawnpro for what you are wanting to do I would look at tri toons most will have bigger hp and give the performance you will want to do water sports. Personally I got a older toon and converted it to a tri toon I enjoy doing things like that. I have a fraction of the money in mine as to having to go buy one

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
He said he wouldn't buy a trailer that DIDN'T have a tandem axle. If the boat you buy is over a 20 footer, you need a tandem axle trailer. It's a weight thing. My 18 footer with a 50 HP Suzy pushed nearly 3,000# GVW. You need to consider trailer weight as well as what it's carrying. A single axle trailer typically has a 3500# axle.

rogerwa

Commander
I had a 21ft toon (it was pretty light) that I towed with a single axle scissor trailer - it was white knuckler all the way. Hated it. It rocked side to side and always felt the toon was going to tip to the side and tip over. As for a bunk style, if the weight is in line, I would not be concerned.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
My apologies I did miss read the quote about a tandem trailer.please disregard my question about that matter.

ahicks

Captain
A single axle will easily handle the kind of weight we're talking about with a pontoon. To me, it's more about handling? These things have a lot of side area. Pulling one on a gusty day or when a semi is around can be a bit unnerving unless you're pulling it with something like a 1 ton dually. An extra pair of tires on the road helps minimize that. Tandem axles also a big deal when it comes to handling after a blown out tire....