89 evinrude 90hp throttle problem

Donny2

Recruit
Please help! !! I recently bought an 89 Suntracker party barge with an 90hp Evinrude 2 stroke outboard. I recently disconnected the vro. . However I'm having a problem. . Starts up quick, idles great, when power up to plane, around half throttle the motor bogs down... and eventually dies. If I put it in neutral it revs up full power And which boggles me if I put it in Reverse I Can Full Power It with no bogging!!!! I have checked all fuel lines and nothing is restricted. I run 50 to 1 also. Please help!

ahicks

Captain
Just one thought here. At speed, in addition to fuel pressure, you also need water pressure to prevent overheating. Is there a chance the water pump impeller is trying to tell you something?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you getting any alarms? Is your fuel system venting properly? You will probably get more and better answers in the Johnson evinrude outboard forums.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've experience this same phenomenon.
Sediment, in the fuel tank, can cause these symptoms. Rinse the tank and I bet you find crud, bugs, etc. Who knows how it gets there? It just does. Pull up the tank pick up tube with a wire. There's probably some chunks stuck, to the in tank screen, as well.

Here's what can happen...........In neutral, all the debris is disbursed and floating around. Throttle up, and the same crud shifts, toward the tanks pickup tube, eventually making it stall. It starts back up because all the crud has fallen away from the pick up tube. At lower rpms, the fuel pressure is less, so "the big stuff" is not drawn in. In reverse, the debris is forced away from the pick up tube. Make sense?

It's an easy, free check. Well, you'll waste a little gas doing the rinse. I little to check the simple stuff first.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a similar issue. fuel priming bulb was collapsing. Ended up being the fuel cap vent wasn't working/clogged. It was causing a vapor lock. I had to loosen the cap to get home. You don't want to run all the time that way, moisture gets in, fuel also evaporates leaving less than gas behind...took the vent apart and cleaned it....back in business

Last edited: