Trailer tie downs

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 2014 Lowe 23' tritoon with 150 hp Mercury outboard. When I asked why they didn't put rear tie down straps on the trailer they told me it wasn't necessary, the engine weighs enough to hold it down. Although I want to believe them I am apprehensive and would be interested to know how many of you tow without tie down straps on the back end. Thanks

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
They are absolutely lying to you. Put tie downs on, they are cheap and worth it.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pontoons are heavy boats & I've seen alot of people not use rear tie downs. I asked one guy about it and he said that he only uses them for long trips but for a hour drive to the lake he dosn't. My Dad dose the same thing with he's potoon. But I'm with lakegeorge it's a small price for the peice of mind. If I use the pontoon I never move it without the tie downs.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I use two ratchet straps on mine. If a bump/dip is hit fast enough the toon will go airborne for an instant. Better to let the tlr take the beating rather than the tubes.
Mike

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I recently bought a 2014 Lowe 23' tritoon with 150 hp Mercury outboard. When I asked why they didn't put rear tie down straps on the trailer they told me it wasn't necessary, the engine weighs enough to hold it down. Although I want to believe them I am apprehensive and would be interested to know how many of you tow without tie down straps on the back end. Thanks

They're idiots. Tie it down.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My FIL had a smaller boat that he used tie downs on, while trailering a short distance to the ramp the boat trailer was hit in the side by a car. The only thing that kept the boat on the now damaged trailer was the tie downs as the boat and trailer both were airborne for a brief second. Tie downs are cheap insurance, and it is not always you that causes the incident.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Plus another for tie downs. Too cheap not to use IMO. I also use a transom saver. Opinions vary on that but my opinion was furnished by the welder who repaired my motor pod.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another plus for tie downs and a transom saver. Mercury said to use a Transom saver and Tracker provided one. Need for tie downs is evident anytime you tow on any of our poorly maintained highways.

Glenn

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am a new boat owner but not new at trailering. The weight of the thing being towed does not matter. When it is moving one direction at a significant speed it can catch some air if not strapped down during some rough riding.
I marvel at the lack of simple common sense some humans have.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did ever see a boat that came off of it's trailer? I have. not a pretty sight.The owner was traveling on a dual lane highway when a car cut him off . He hit the brakes and the boat came off of the trailer.The truck went down an embankment and the boat went nose down and over the truck. Both were totaled..

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
My pontoon came without straps as well. I put one on before I left and first thing the old owner said was ah she is heavy enough doesn't need them. I said well that was your choice but I like the piece of mind. You can never have enough straps IMO.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Man, that is crazy talk. Absolutely, without a doubt, tie that sucker down with ratchet straps. Cheap insurance.

Beaux38

Cadet
Get some. They are not necessary to keep the boat on the trailer, but a must to keep the trailer under the boat when you find the right bump. I've gotten the same story about transom savers. "You don't need them, you've got this little kick stand right here". Yeah right, Look up the definition of transom and tell me exactly how your saving one with all that leverage sticking out just using the safety lever.

Last edited: