1994 Grumman

annie2161

Recruit
I am considering buying a 1994 20' Grumman Fun Ship. The owner let me take it for the weekend tovtest it out. It has a 70 HP Johnson motor, rebuilt 2 years ago with some choke issues. In addition, when we pulled it out of the water it was evident one of the pontoons was taking water. Finally needs a new steering wire (very hard to turn) and deck carpet. Comes with trailer. Guy will take $1150 for it (down from $1500, he's a friend of my fathers). My overall concern is the leak in the pontoon as it relates to overall safety and cost to repair. Any idea on average cost to weld and pressure test as well as safety after? Seats were recovered 2 years ago as well. Think i am getting a great deal if the repairs aren't too much and boat will be safe. Thoughts?

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Repairs will be more than you think. Finding the leak and a "certified" welder to fix it could be an issue.

Offer $500. Don't go over $1000.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Repairs will be more than you think. Finding the leak and a "certified" welder to fix it could be an issue.

To replace the carpet, everything has to be unscrewed from the deck. If you are going to do that, you might as well replace the deck. Marine grade plywood with at least 2 coats of marine spar varnish on both sides,

Offer $500. Don't go over $1000.

HarborRat

Seaman
In my area of Florida a half decent used pontoon trailer is worth about a grand...and with a running boat too, that is a great price.

If you can find the leak in the toon I'd just JB weld it, unless it's on a seam or something that may get bigger.

Get some penetrating lube into the steering cable jacket and clean up the steering rod that goes through the outboard....you'll probably be surprised at the difference.

Choke issues? LOL thats normal on an old outboard, and usually an easy cheap fix.

Grumman makes great jon boats, very popular in the NE...but I've never seen one of their toons first hand so I can't comment. I've owned many of their jon boats....and most had JB weld holding the water out :D.

Go for it.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The trailer and outboard are both worth more than that. I could flip that overnight and put 2-3k in my pocket. Used toons go good around here.

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like a good deal at first, but thinking I'd pass?

"Rebuilt" engine is not something I like to see advertised. They go for just about forever if taken care of, why the need for this rebuild? What, exactly, was replaced? "Rebuilt", without further explanation, covers too much country. Could be just the lower unit, just the power head, the carbs, or just a water pump. Who knows?

Then it has a leaky pontoon. Is this from a puncture, metal fatigue, or does it have a serious dose of corrosion that's nearly impossible to fix? Of note here is the fact replacement pontoons are available, but freight can kill you if you can't find a set locally - unless you'd consider a "road trip" to go get a set.

Carpet can be the start of quite a project. Kinda like installing a new toilet in a bathroom, or sink in a kitchen. Either generally just the start of what turns out to be a MUCH larger project than first anticipated

The biggest thing this deal has going for it is the trailer. Agreed. If it's in reasonable condition, you're buying the trailer and getting the boat and motor for free. That's my thought anyway, FWIW. -Al