new to me pontoon

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a 1988 28' Sun tracker Party Hut with a Mercury 115 outboard.

My question is what should I expect with this combo? Am I under powered? What is the maximum safe HP rating for this boat?

This will be my first pontoon.

Thanks!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: new to me pontoon

You are at the maximum HP rating with the 115. I would say you would be doing good to get 20 MPH or so with that big of rig.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm what can be done to allow a larger motor? Do I need to bolt on a different transom mount?

Here is a picture of the 115

115.jpg

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You would have to re engineer the transom and cross members and have it approved by the USCG. Or add a center toon designed for the new HP.

Last edited:

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that a center toon that its mounted to? It looks like it to me in the picture but I can't see the other side well.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

aside what the plate says how much horsepower could thing thing really take?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Picture looks like a pontoon transom to me. Many are 6 to 7 foot long. I suspect set up right you may get 22-24 mph on smooth water. How big are your pontoons? The bigger the pontoons the more potential for more mph. Realistically if you can cruise at 15-18 mph I think you will be happy, with a pontoon it is the journey not the destination. You will drink a lot of gas at wot, and its nice to putt around at 5-7 mph or simply anchor and have your private island.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

aside what the plate says how much horsepower could thing thing really take?

How much horsepower it could really take is what the plate says. They put those numbers on there for a reason. Party huts are supposed to be slow anyway. What are you trying to accomplish (honest question, not snark)?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has very large 'toons. I dont have a measurement but they are massive. In regards to what I am trying to accomplish I would like to get 35 mph out of her without having to be at WOT on a motor. I would rather put a large motor on and never need all of the HP then put a small motor and and need WOT all the time.

The tank is on the back of the barge not in the pontoon.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You would have to be in the 150-200 HP range and have a full 3rd log with a built-in transom and lifting strakes to accomplish 35 at full throttle.